Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Station Wagon Guys Please step in.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TinShed, Dec 11, 2014.

1. TinShed

TinShed

I have a old IH Travelall with a hand crank back window. I wand to be able to cruise with all 5 windows down. I am replacing the exhaust system. .The question I have is where to dump the tail pipes so I do not get a exhaust smell in the truck when driving. I asked for station wagon guys because that is what it is really.

2. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Dump it behind the rear wheel. Your exhaust pipe should exit it behind the rear wheel in the wheelwell...

R-

3. Slopok

Slopok

Just look as to how the new Suburbans & Tahoes exit, Same difference.

4. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Out the side, behind the rear wheel

5. I run a 65 Impala wgn and found exhaust fumes via open rear window with exhausts in stock location exiting behind rear wheels......have now extended to exit under corners of rear bumper, pointing downward, and that cured exhaust fumes/open rear window issue......

6. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

That is what the air deflectors above the back windows are for. I would show a picture but don't have any.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  7. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

Yep , thanks for showing that.

8. squirrel

squirrel

I have always been more comfy with the rear window closed. And the advise to dump the exhaust out the sides, at the rear, is good.

9. tikiwagon13

tikiwagon13

I had the exhaust out the sides at the rear, always preferred the back window up, not because of the exhaust but the hot air that enters. Roll down the side windows and open the fresh air vents and you will be good.

10. I ran the exhaust out under the bumper and turned the ends down,I rarely drive around with the rear hatch up but have at some of the big shows and haven't noticed any exhaust smells.

Out on the road I just roll the front windows down and slide the side glass or turn on the air. HRP

[​IMG]

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  11. ^^X2^^ I've had wagons of one description or another all my life, and do a lot of driving on dirt desert two track roads. By far the best way to keep fresh, clean air in the cabin, at almost any speed, is foot vents open and only the front windows down a tiny bit if you really have to. Depending on the condition of the body, running with the vents shut and front windows open can pull exhaust, dust and anything else into the cabin even with the back window closed. The low pressure created at the door glass (in the vortex of the windshield) pulls the cabin negative and if that cabin is common all the way to where the exhaust is released, like a wagon is, physics takes over.

12. TinShed

TinShed

So it sounds like I should dump it just behind the tires out the sides. My rear window rolls down so the gate will not need to be open. I was thinking I would have some real nice air flow with all 5 windows down at 60-70mph. My wifes 64 Comet vert is awsome with the windows down and the rear window zipped down it is better than with the top down and now you are in the shade.

Thanks Guys!

13. with BCHRA.....ran a factory big block Dodge wagon that was set up that way.....the end corner of the bumper....

14. NMCarNut

NMCarNut
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yup, it can barely be seen but at the corner of the bumper pointed outward about 45 degrees. While dirty, back when the 'ol Plymouth was new. Never verified with a CO meter but while in motion it never smelled inside no matter how far the window was opened.
    58 Plymouth.jpg

15. Randy Routt

Randy Routt

the late 50s plymouth wagon with the 3 kids in the back remind me of Occel Black's 59 DeSoto wagon that he put a 413 crossram in that he took his sons on fishing trips in .Took them to Toledo Bend or somewhere like that. He was one of the best trans builder's in the south and tried to show me how to do lead bodywork. I wish I'd paid more attention

16. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Where did the factory put it? They must have run tests, and put it where it wouldn't gas the occupants.

17. Vertical air deflectors on the d pillar work as well
    That's what I had on 64 Acadian wagon, same as nova wagon
    No pictures though

18. Always aware that an air deflector would be the answer for exhaust fumes and did mock up several on the wgn, but with factory roof rack in place, just didn't look good, so went exhaust relocation route......still get lots of shit on rear window with no deflector.......

19. NMCarNut

NMCarNut
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You are looking at it where they put it. Note the plate, Plymouth was about 3 months old when the picture was taken.

20. big57daddy

big57daddy

There's a project - integrate the rear wind deflector into the tail-end of the roof rack to make it 1 unit.

21. We used to put little deflector things on the roof just above the window looked like an air foil turned upside down.

22. NMCarNut

NMCarNut
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The rack Ford used on the LTD starting in 69 had an integrated deflector:
    FordWagonRack.jpg

23. big57daddy

big57daddy

That's what I'm talking about - thanks, NMCarNut!
    Now if someone could make it a little cooler- looking - maybe chromed, a bit more angle, some side buttresses with holes, and some louvers?