Register now to get rid of these ads!

Static to Dynamic Loads Factor??????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JPMACHADO, Nov 22, 2011.

1. JPMACHADO

JPMACHADO
    from Not Listed

Does anyone have information on what factor static loads are multiplied by to get dynamic loads for things like suspension & frame design? I'd really appreciate some concrete info on this if someone works for an automotive company and is able to give something like this out. I understand it may be proprietary. However, it never hurts to ask.

I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT A FACTOR OF SAFETY, BUT IF SOMEONE HAS THAT INFO IT WOULD BE GREAT,TOO!

Thanks
    JP

2. JPMACHADO

JPMACHADO
    from Not Listed

3. Most suspension designers will use 5 to 1 for a yield limit. As far as dynamic use loading, it can be calculated if you know things like roll center and C/G location.

It also depends on how the part is loaded. Shock mounts on a high downforce racing chassis might be as high as 10 to 1.

4. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Alot of it depends on the shock valving as well. I have done alot of suspension load gathering at work on Off-Highway Vehicles and ATV's. With one recent vehicle we saw shock loads during a lap of a predetermined course vary from 2500 lbs to 7500 lbs simply by changing the compression dampening. Harder shock settings don't absorb as much energy, and thus transfer more load to the frame. I have never seen any hard and fast rules, as so much can change with the setup, but Exwest's info seems reasonable.

Good Luck

Last edited: Nov 27, 2011

5. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

5 to 1 seems kinda of standard on anything when allowing for "shock". Lifting cables, shackles, and spreader beams are figured at a 5 to 1 ratio for safety. 2 ton shackle fails at 10 ton, etc.

6. JPMACHADO

JPMACHADO
    from Not Listed

Thank you very much. I would have thought lower. I'm glad I asked. I'll go with 5 * static

John

7. Halfdozen

Halfdozen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER