Register now to get rid of these ads!

Starting my Build ,Frame Boxing question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 30 Buford, Jan 14, 2008.

1. 30 Buford

30 Buford
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Howdy. My Question is Box the frame now or later?? Today I'm going to start welding my frame together,but I have a couple of questions regarding Boxing Plates.
    I have a set of 32 Rails ,front X member and a set of boxing plates. I will be putting a 30 Model A roadster body and a 401 Buick on/in it.
    I'm puzzeled as to the areas I need to get to later to Bolt the body on .
    I could weld some nuts under the existing holes in the frame but will they work with the 1930 body mounting locations ? I also thought of notching the boxing plates in some critical areas? Or box later on in the build? The plates are already cut into three sections.
    I currently have it laid out on a makeshift jig to get my measurements right. I want to get welding but not until I figure this dillema out.Thanks In advance,Bruce C.:confused:

2. Ole don

Ole don

When I made mine, I built a table from a 4X8 sheet of 3/4 plywood, and painted it white. A made a black mark down the center, and put the body on to make an outline. Now you know where to narrow the rails. I welded nuts in the rails, and used a 1 1/4 inch hole saw to get at the back of each one just in case. With two 2x4's screwed to the bottom, the table will support it all. Support each rail by clamping it down on both ends to something solid for welding, and go slow.

3. 30 Buford

30 Buford
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks Ole don. I'm not going to pinch my rails . I'm either going to channel the body right behind the cowl or recess the frame in that area.I am just trying to determine where I should leave some large holes in the boxing plates.

4. Rob Paul

Rob Paul
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You do not need to pinch it. 30-31 body will look good on a stock dimension frame. Square it up. Weld in crossmembers, then box it. You really should use a jig that hold the rails in place while you weld the plates, and X member. The heat from welding will make it move alot. Consider building a steel table to work on. Build it, and figure out the body mount holes later. Once you set the body on you can find some good places to run a bolt through.

ROB

5. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

ha thats funny, today im welding in tapped plates for body mounting on my 32 frame too! luckily mine are original rails so all the mount holes are there.as to the different points for a 30 31 body, only the cowl ones are really critical, the rest you can drill into the subrails to match up later. i would determine your cowl position first at least.you will have to modify the rear subrails to suit the 32 frame kick, but i would do at least four tapped plates(or weld nuts in) along each rail behind the doors..just space em out pretty even. you could do belled holes in your boxing plates, they allow you to get a nut up on there, you may need to bend up a special spanner to get onto them to tighten em up. heres a 34 frame i did with holey boxing plates..

Attached Files: