Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Starting issues?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Clay Belt, Mar 22, 2018.

1. Clay Belt

Clay Belt

I dropped the engine in my mid 1960's Thunderbird last weekend, and only just got around to trying to start it (hooking lines up was slow going). I can get backfires from it when I pour gas down the carb, but there is nothing coming from the fuel line. Help?

2. 3spd

3spd

What engine and carb do you have? Mechanical or electrical fuel pump? Do you have any history on the motor or the car? When was the last time it ran? Have you seen it run?

Some general advice;
    I assume a mechanical pump. Try using a rubber tipped blow-off gun to see if the lines are clogged. If yes, check the fuel filter, remove it and try the air again. Still clogged... not sure never had that. Solvent and compressed air should clear it out. If the lines are clear I'd replace the pump, should be pretty cheap and easy to get.

As for the backfire - check your static timing. Roll the engine to TDC on the compression stroke and confirm the rotor is pointing to the #1 cylinder's plug wire. If that checks out okay I would have someone crank it while I rotate the distributor until it fires. If it still won't run I'd pull the plugs and do a compression test.

olscrounger likes this.
  3. Clay Belt

Clay Belt

Engine is a freshly rebuilt 390. Carb is an Edelbrock 1406. I may have had TDC on the exhaust stroke instead of compression, which would explain some of the problems. I have fresh line running from the pump to the carb, but hadn't checked the line to the pump. The car was last running in October, when I blew the head gasket and tore the then-worn engine down. Pump is mechanical

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
  4. BJR

BJR

I don't remember, but does that engine have a removable fuel pump eccentric? If so is it laying on the bench somewhere?

5. Clay Belt

Clay Belt

I think it's in, but just to double check, that's the metal disc that attaches to the end of the camshaft?

6. BJR

BJR

Yes, if it's not in the index on the cam, or if the bolt is loose, it will just spin and the pump will not pump.

7. Clay Belt

Clay Belt

That probably is the issue, as nobody involved in the rebuild remembers tightening it, only marking sure it was on

8. Clay Belt

Clay Belt

Got a chance to check it out. The pump eccentric is on tight

9. You may have had a Bug find a nice home for the Winter. If the line was left open on the chassis around here they just love 1/4" round holes. Remove the line at the pump from the Tank. Remove the gas cap. Take your air hose and turn your line pressure down to 30 Lbs. Now take your air blow gun and wrap a rag around it and press against the fill tube and charge the tank till you get clean gas coming out the line. You may want to catch that in a glass Jar just to see what you may be pushing into your new Carb.
    The Wizzard

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  10. Clay Belt

Clay Belt

Partially solved issue... I forgot to prime the fuel pump. Being a bit of a "newb" to this side of things, how would I want to go about priming the mechanical FE fuel pump?

11. I have replaced countless numbers of Pumps and have never primed one. They create a vacuum and pull gas from the tank normally, Kind of like running out of gas on the road. Never had to prime one after that. Are you sure there is Gas in it?
    The Wizzard

12. Clay Belt

Clay Belt

Should be. I'll just run outside and check again, but I had just filled up the tank the same day I blew the head gasket with ethanol free

13. What's the verdict, gas or no gas? Ya know, you could have a Full tank and a plugged vent creating a Vacuum and stopping the Fuel from getting to the pump.
    The Wizzard

14. Clay Belt

Clay Belt

Fuel pump works. No fuel coming to the pump. Seems like the tank has gas, going to put some extra in just in case.

15. I hope you aren't just grinding on the Starter with a New motor trying to get Fuel while adding Gas direct in the Carb. If you didn't build good Oil Pressure by priming the system you could Kill a new motor. Without a good prime first you most likley have dry lifters so your valves are not doing there job like they should. That alone will cause big Backfires for sure and can bend pushrods at the very least.

16. Clay Belt

Clay Belt

I did prime the motor first, and have found that the old flexible rubber line between the tank and pump had melted together. Replacing it

Pist-n-Broke likes this.
  17. Kool, sounds like you prevented a problem as well as found a problem. Should be making progress now.
    The Wizzard

18. Clay Belt

Clay Belt

Starting to fire while starter is going. It is on tank gas now

19. Clay Belt

Clay Belt

Nine fives of sure that I just need to adjust timing now

20. That's good news. How big is your Smile?

21. Clay Belt

Clay Belt

Pretty big

King ford likes this.