Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Starting a Rebuilt engine

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by metaldave, Sep 17, 2015.

1. metaldave

metaldave
    from michigan

Starting a rebuilt flathead. I am ready to start my rebuilt engine for the first time. Do I need to use break in oil? Do I need to add zinc? Do I need to crank it over until I get an oil pressure reading? Thanks for any help dave

2. i always spin the oil pump first. what kind of motor?

3. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

X2 always prime the oil pump, easy insurance. And don't forget to break in you cam some people get to excited and screw this part up,

loudbang likes this.
  4. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

FLATHEAD engine..Please tell us how you prime the pump..

5. is it a ford?

6. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

If they call it a flathead, it's always a Ford. If it is any other make of flathead they call it a "flat" engine. I wish I was kidding but it's true.

volvobrynk and tb33anda3rd like this.
  7. walter

walter

I used a Chevy oil pump on an electric drill and made a line that screwed into the sender port in the back of the block. Took the drain plug out of the oil pan and back fed about 3 quarts of oil through the motor. About a week later fired it up and had immediate oil pressure. Remember to run in the cam!! I ran mine about 45 minutes at high rpm and then shut it down and cool to room temp and retourqued the heads. Did this operation 3 times.

loudbang likes this.
  8. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

take a look at Lucas Products: TB Zinc-Plus Break-In-Additive; Engine Break-In-Oil; and after break in period Hot Rod & Classic Motor Oil

9. fordor41

fordor41

I was told by a cam manufacturer to fill with high zinc oil (joe gibbs, brad penn) with a bottle of break-in oil. Start and immediately run up to about 2000 RPM for about 20 min. and do not idle. dump that oil and refill. run for 500 miles and refill with oil of choice. I use Mobil 1 and refresh the zinc every 3000 mi. with Lucas zinc additive and new filter.

Runnin shine and yruhot like this.
  10. yruhot

yruhot

Good advice, I used comp cam additive for breakin on my big block chevy and no flat tappet problems. Costs a few more dollars but cheaper than a new cam and a broken heart.lol.