Register now to get rid of these ads!

Starting a Model A after 53 years.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hank50car, May 11, 2012.

1. I talking to a friend of mine last night who is mechanically challenged and he was wanting to get his dads A roadster running. It was driven from Montana to Indiana in 1955 and last driven in 1959.It was moved from the barn in indiana to NC in 1971. I have never worked on an A banger before and was wondering if there were any precautions I should take before attempting to crank it. I will get pictures of it when I go down to start it. I haven't seen the car in 35 years.

2. Pull the plugs and put some Marvel Mytery Oil in each cylinder. Let it sit for a day or two before trying to rotate the crank. Fresh oil in the pan (NOT synthetic) would be a good idea as well.

3. budd

budd

you need to check if there is rust in the cylinders, rust will ruin pistons, i'm thinking if it has been sitting that long there has to be, i have a small snake-light that i use, pouring crap down the cylinders just so you can hear it run will make for more work and money later.

4. Thanks guys Hank

5. Balls Out Garage

Balls Out Garage
    from Arkansas

In addition to the MMO in the cylinders, I'd also check the distributor shaft. The shaft bore has a tendency to collect water, causing the shaft to get rusted to the block. Turning the engine over then snaps off the drive tang on the shaft. Good luck!

6. 55chevr

55chevr

Funny I did that to a 36 V8 ... good idea to check the distributor shaft.

7. DeepSea Fish

DeepSea Fish

If it's been dry, it will probably be ok to try the above mentioned steps before trying to crank. If there's a CHANCE that it was ever wet or in a damp area, I'd pull the head off and check for damage.

Post some pics, somebody here will steer you in the right direction.

8. F&J

F&J

Anything over 50 years, you really should pull the oil pan off. The stuff they used for oil, can coagulate, and turn to almost a gel.

Can't say what years would be safe, but I do this kind of work for others and I have seen how bad it can get. We have a damp climate, so maybe that does not help.