Register now to get rid of these ads!

starting a 6v with 12v???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dave s, Jul 17, 2006.

1. dave s

dave s

is it posible? if i switch the 6v coil for a 12v coil, is it possible to start a 6v car with a 12v batt. and not destroy anyhting(with exeption to lights and such)??
    -OR-
    can i use a 12v battery charger to charge the 6v battery?

thanks a bunch.

dave

2. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

just put a ballast resistor on the power wire to the coil, and pull the fuses to ALL light bulbs.

3. As long as you remember the "and such" include things like guages, radio, switching the 6V generator to a 12V alternator, and ALL the lights.

Here's a 12V conversion guide: http://www.oldengine.org/unfaq/six12.htm.

Also, try searching here. This subject has been covered many times.

Bryan

4. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

A 6 V car will start reallydamnwell on 12, no need to fiddle with anything for a quick shot of electricity. Then disconnect and let it run on the generator--you'll likely have to raise the idle speed a small amount to keep the generator happy.
    You can't charge from 12 safely--it'll fry things. You'd have to figgerout a way to drop voltage to 7 or so, or charge two batteries in series, also not a very good idea. Start the thing on 12 and let its own gen chargeit! That's what you pay the thing for, right?

5. dave s

dave s

awsome!thats what i needed to know. thanks guys!

6. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

yeah just try it out with a friend at the battery to disconnect it if it starts to fry. tp aka zibo