Register now to get rid of these ads!

Starter trouble: help!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Humboldt Cat, Oct 17, 2003.

1. Humboldt Cat

Humboldt Cat
    from Eureka, CA

Was just-now moving my project '57 from one side o' the street to the garage, down the hill the motor goes out. When I try and re-start it, the starter spins but there's a flat metallic "blunk!", motor not turning. GEEZ! It just got a new starter last month, and have hardly been driving it (prepping it for paint). Am gonna rush back out there now, but was wondering if any of y'all had any ideas. This wouldn't mean the motor freezes up, does it? Sheesh. What I would give for garage space to store it in.
    Anyway, it's a 390 FE, has been having lifter problems, but running. Any advice/help is greatly needed and appreciated. Will be right back. [​IMG]

2. Humboldt Cat

Humboldt Cat
    from Eureka, CA

Just got back- motor's not turning, clunking noise is coming from the bellhousing area, trying to determine if the solenoid teeth are not meshing with the flywheel, but hard to by myself, and am due at work. Dang!
    Any ideas? Will brb.

3. manyolcars

manyolcars

bad spot on the flywheel? bad solenoid? POOR GROUND? POOR BATT CONNECTION?

4. bradberry00

bradberry00
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

5. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Give it a GOOD wack with a wrench, might get a few more starts out of it after that.

6. i prefer the good whack method as per h.r.l.c.

7. Humboldt Cat

Humboldt Cat
    from Eureka, CA

Ah, the head, it's so much clearer now, thinking it over at Work. The Wacking Method's a good idea, in fact a co-worker's truck needed a good wake-it-up tap, recently, that was the remedy we gave it. Didn't have time to look underneath to look at the teeth. Tomorrow, tomorrow, I'll love it, tomorrow.
    That starter job's warrantied, as much as I hate to tow it back to the bufoons that charged too much (and left much to be desired), I'm thinking of doing that. Unless my neighbor and I figure something else out, looking at it tomorrow.
    Is The Whack a temporary solution, or does it fix for good?
    Thank you for the advice, all! Am nervous as it is to have the city on my case for working on the street, to have that happen on top o' things... makes the brain farts happen, y'know?

8. Humboldt Cat

Humboldt Cat
    from Eureka, CA

[ QUOTE ]
    Give it a GOOD wack with a wrench, might get a few more starts out of it after that.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Me and my dumb questions... hey at least the whack could get me to the shop, 'stead of towing. Thanks again. Bradberry, how's yer F-100 been running?

9. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

one time the starter in my comet jamed it self with the ring gear and i had to pull the bitch out and put it back in to get it unstuck could not turn the 289 over by hand for nothen

10. Humboldt Cat

Humboldt Cat
    from Eureka, CA

Does that mean it partially gets stuck on the flywheel?
    Otherwise, judging by the sound, I can see how that could be the prob.

11. Jimv

Jimv

th bendix drive is fucked up on the starter, no big deal, get another one(rebuilt) or replace the drive.Its a common problem.If its a 3 bolt starter put the 2 easiest bolts in & not he had to reach one on the top.If you really want to put the top one in do it last(tke it out first) & use a LONG extension from out in front of the cross memeber.
    Don't thing that because its new its good!!I was at the hospital & saw a few babies there that where sick!!
    JimV