Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Starter talk:

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by c-10 simplex, Jul 1, 2021.

1. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

Specifically Chevy starters:

1) What was the purpose of having the staggered bolt pattern vs. inline/straight bolt pattern.

The staggered pattern does seem more stable/stronger?

2) i'm looking to get a hi-torque mini-type starter. Should i get the staggered pattern or straight? The one on there now is staggered.

Will i be ok with straight pattern?

2. squirrel

squirrel

The bolt pattern is all about where the starter mounts, and how much room there is for bolt holes.

Straight for small flywheel, staggered for large flywheel.

3. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

i get that the factory starter staggered pattern is for the 168 tooth flexplate and the straight pattern is for 153 plate. But, the aftermarket mini-starters can work with either flexplate.

And some of those aftermarket starters come in both bolt patterns-----which makes me wonder why everyone goes with the straight pattern (even though most chevy blocks are drilled with both patterns) and/or why doesn't everyone go with the staggered pattern----because it seems stronger to me?

stillrunners and Mr48chev like this.
  4. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Cheaper to make. OEM is different for easy identification but cost's more to have a second casting made.

5. squirrel

squirrel

get a Chevy OEM mini starter (1999 truck starter) it's staggered bolt pattern. Make sure to get the right bolts for it, they're metric shank, STD thread, with a stepped knurl.

I have no idea why anyone uses those funky aftermarket starters.

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

IMG_0235.JPG
    Well buy one of those aftermarket starters and you can be the 999th individual to post a thread on the Hamb asking what the hell do you do now that your after market gear reduction starter ate up your ring gear.

I'd say that the offset bolts have more to do with being able to place the drive in the correct spot for the 168 tooth flywheel than anything else. I probably have both end frames here to compare but it has been over 110 here and that shed that the 153 tooth starter might be in is about 150 degrees inside. Simply meaning that if you were to put a long 3/8 bolt though the outside holes in both end frames you would find that the drive is offset a bit. How big of a bit I am not quite sure but If my old fart itus isn't that bad in the morning I'll go dig in the shed before it gets hot. Shed is getting a bit sketchy though.

In other news, as Jim stated above Delco makes both a 153 and 168 tooth small body gear reduction starter that is readily available and actually works so there isn't a lot of need to fight with the Chinese crap starters now. View attachment 5106075

7. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

Factory permanent-magnet (aka: gear reduction, mini-starter) starter summary:
    153 Tooth, straight bolt pattern starter from a 1996 Caprice w/LT1 5.7. Rock Auto link: Link

168 Tooth, staggered bolt pattern starter from a 1999 C1500 w/Vortec 5.7. Rock Auto link: Link

I've used both the Remy and ACDelco starters with great success. Brand new and cheaper than aftermarket mini-starters. And cheaper than chain-store rebuilds (factory permanent-magnet).

Last edited: Jul 2, 2021
  8. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

Thanks everyone for the help:

i ended up getting the later model AC delco "mini-starter." It's cross-referenced as off of a 1999 c-1500, part # AC delco 3371022.

Notes: A) However, i heard the even later model 4.3 v-6 starters may even have more torque; Remember the 4.3 v-6 was installed in vans up to 2015. i didn't have time to research further and the #3371022 works well enough anyways....

B) You need starter bolts, GM part # 12338064 (or salvage yard). These are slightly shorter than the "regular" starter bolts, because, i ASSume, the later model starter body is shorter as well? i believe, but am not 100% certain that the actual diameter of both sets of bolts are the same---just the length is different. This is just going off my micrometer. Thread pitch is exactly the same for both sets.

Bottom line for bolts: The "standard" starter bolts we all know and love from 1958 to about 1998ish won't work with the later model starter; You need the shorter bolts.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Newer style starter bolts on the left. Standard/regular starter bolts on the right.

9. squirrel

squirrel

there is a "step" in the middle of the knurled part of the bolt. The shank is 10mm, the thread is 3/8".

VANDENPLAS and chevyfordman like this.
  10. I have a Powermaster mini starter for my 283. Reason being, it was the only one that would fit because of the frame rail. Fit perfect, gear spacing was good without a shim. I believe I even used the bolts that came with it, not sure because it’s been quite a few years. Never ate a gear.
    I believe they are still being made in house in West Chicago.
    Delco-Remy was acquired by Borg Warner years ago and has manufacturing plants in over 20 countries. So where is your starter being made?;)

Last edited: Jul 3, 2021
    chevyfordman likes this.
  11. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

That's a very good question. Unfortunately, i just checked the box----made in China.....:(

But it looks identical to the ProForm # 66268---which is what i was originally going to get. But, the delco store was closer than Advanced Auto. Plus, it was a little cheaper at Delco, including the bolts. $147. Hell, i figured it's AC delco----it MUST be good........(fingers crossed.....) Same with ProForm.

But that leads me to believe that possibly this starter is made in a factory in China and they'll just put different stickers on them depending on which brand it's going to be? Jeg's also has one that looks identical.....#10016

The powermaster 9200 looks like the same outer case also, but they say made in usa. So maybe the internals are different? The specs seem different. For example 4.40:1 gear reduction vs. 3.75:1 for all the others?

Side note: i don't think Remy is owned by GM anymore. AC delco, however, still IS part of GM.

12. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ
    from NJ

>>>Side note: i don't think Remy is owned by GM anymore. AC delco, however, still IS part of GM. >>>

GM isn't GM anymore either. 8^(

13. Thanks for putting this info out there !

14. Driver50x

Driver50x

Does anyone know for sure the right part number or application for a small flywheel starter? I just ordered a 337-1022 for a 96 Caprice with a 5.7 and it has staggered bolts and it’s for a large flywheel.

15. Ericnova72

Ericnova72
    from Michigan

The #337-1022 is for the 1999 C1500 Truck application according to the Rock Auto link, it isn't correct for the 1996 Caprice application.
    You missed it by one digit.
    The 1996 Caprice application(small diameter flex/flywheel) is AC Delco #337 1023....not 1022

16. Driver50x

Driver50x

Thanks. I’m not sure how I screwed that one up, but the right starter is on it’s way now.

17. Starter cores that came with YOUR block are gold. I tend to get mine rebuilt or I spend a lot of time matching it up before I pull out my $$.