Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Starter Solenoid

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tikiwagon13, May 2, 2016.

1. tikiwagon13

tikiwagon13

I have a 302 in my '28, I have replaced the starter solenoid twice in the last year, it sticks on sometimes. It has been covered under warranty but is there a better choice? I'm currently using a Blue Streak unit, visit the dealer? Any suggestions or is this a design flaw?

2. F&J

F&J

Maybe too much draw from high comp motor or a failing starter?

I don't know where to find them anymore, but some trucks used an oil filled solenoid that is rated for continuous duty (on all the time, if truck is running). These were used to power all the accessories without overloading the ign switch "on" position.

3. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

Low voltage or voltage drop through the cable will cause the solenoid to stick.

scrap metal 48 and Truck64 like this.
  4. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

NOS or even NORS from the 60s are still plentiful and cheap, they are noticeably heavier than the el-cheapo junk flooding our shores.

5. moefuzz

moefuzz

There are plenty of used ones under the hoods of 60's 70's Ford's at the wrecking yard.
    Given that they seldom fail and often last 30 years, I would ditch the shiny new store bought unit and clean up one that has a Ford logo on it.
    My guess is that offshore crap is flooding the world and/or that you have excessive draw coming from your starter which could be caused from multiply problems.

302GMC likes this.