Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Starter Solenoid/Coil Wiring (help)

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Zac B, Oct 29, 2016.

1. Zac B

Zac B
    from Norman, OK

Greetings,
    I am working on a 1937 Chevy Sedan I recently acquired and am in the process of cleaning up some of the wiring. The engine is a 235 out of a 61 GM and I believe has electronic ignition. It has been converted to 12 volts (has an alternator) and today I began cleaning up wiring around the starter, coil, etc. and was curious where the wires coming off of the 3 studs on the starer solenoid should go. Currently the wire on the right of the solenoid goes to the Rt terminal on the push button start in the car. The middle terminal has + battery and an ignition + cable running off of it. The left terminal has a wire going up to the left side of the coil which is paired with a wire from the distributor and a wire that goes to the ignition through a ballast on the firewall. I've attached some pics to hopefully help clarify and hope some of you vets can help a novice out. Thanks in advance for any advice and help.

Attached Files:

leadfootloon likes this.
  2. squirrel

squirrel

do you know what a wiring schematic is? and how to draw one?

It's kind of hard to figure out where the wires go in pictures like that.

The S terminal on the starter is what makes the starter turn. The R terminal is the ballast resistor bypass, it should connect to the + terminal on the ignition coil.

looks like it might all be connected properly....from what I can see.

The two wires from the distributor look like an electronic ignition conversion.

leadfootloon likes this.
  3. steves29

steves29

Looks like point ignition to me. The left wire on the solenoid provides unresisted voltage to the coil during crank. This is similar to the resisted voltage in run.

4. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

5. squirrel

squirrel

nice schematic. The starter motor has an R instead of an I on it, I hope. There is one more wire, from the coil + terminal to the ignition module in the distributor.

6. steves29

steves29

Just noticed the second distributor wire. As Squirrel says. Looks like it should work that way.

7. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Yes Jim, I equals R. If OP is running electric ignition then the by pass usually isn't used. But !, if ignition switch won't allow for constant voltage to coil during starting the engine the bypass can be used to solve this issue. But since OP is unsure of his ignition and looking at his wiring I'm on the belief it's point's. Need more info or pic of distributor to be more specific.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2016
    wedjim and loudbang like this.
  8. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

After a restroom break I recalled there being 3 pictures and I viewed only the starter one. Now that things are more clearer. Can anyone see the problem in this picture ? Is there or Is there not both a + and - connected to the distributor ? [​IMG]

9. Zac B

Zac B
    from Norman, OK

Here are a couple more "high-res' pics of the coil. IMG_9827.JPG IMG_9828.JPG Thanks for all the help!

10. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Can you pull your distributor cap off a take a photo please. This will answer the question as to why there would be 2 wires coming from the distributor.

11. Zac B

Zac B
    from Norman, OK

12. does that coil say "no external resistor" ?

13. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Electronic, the wiring is fine between the coil and distributor providing the polarity is correct. Is there an issue ? Meaning it won't start or run ?

14. squirrel

squirrel

The coil might say external resistor required....looks a lot like one I just installed.

But you'd have to move it in the bracket, to make sure.

15. Zac B

Zac B
    from Norman, OK

It has ran in the past, I just wanted to run it by the HAMB and make sure it looked ok. I had a mechanic look it over, but in the past I've found many odd things after a mechanic had "looked it over"....
    Anyway, the wire off the coil goes into a ballast resistor (I replaced the old rusty one) and then into the firewall/cab. Sound accurate?

16. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Yes. The wire going into the cab is connected to your ignition switch. This is where the 12 volt power comes from to run the ignition.

17. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

^^^^^ Your color's may vary but this is the whole of it. Exception being the second distributor wire that you have because of the conversion. [​IMG]

olscrounger likes this.
  18. Zac B

Zac B
    from Norman, OK

IMG_9838.JPG Thanks for the picture, that's a big help. One question, my ignition only has two screws coming off of it (see pic) Will that change anything?

19. squirrel

squirrel

not really. There is probably another switch some where to run the starter, eh?

leadfootloon and Johnny Gee like this.
  20. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

^^^^^ Jim like the push button switch above Zac's knuckle of his index finger on #18's posting ?

21. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Zac here's your set up (low picture) per your #18 posting. Please note, you have a push button start switch that's in that photo as well. [​IMG]

Zac B likes this.