Register now to get rid of these ads!

Starter removal on 1955 Ford with Yblock

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Protofuria, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Protofuria

Protofuria
    from France

Hi guys!

It's been a few weeks now that the starter failed on my '55 Country wagon : I can hear the starter relay, but the starter won't turn.

So today I decided it was time to remove this starter and check it.
    I removed the 3 mounting screws (the upper one was a real pain in the ass!) and pulled on the starter, but the back of it touches on the engine mount before the shaft gets out of the housing!

How I am supposed to proceed? do I have to get the transmission off before removing the starter!?

if this may help, the engine is a 312 y block and the transmission is manual 3 speed.

2. blucar

blucar

It would appear that you will have to place a jack under the front portion of the engine so you can remove the right engine mount..
    I just pulled a starter from a 292 Y block with a manual trans, no problem at all.. The engine was in a pickup with a front motor mount... There should be a very heavy rubber gasket in the bellhousing which seals around the starter assembly to the block, bellhousing...

3. Protofuria

Protofuria
    from France

Yep, the rubber is present in the bellhousing!

So I'll remove the right mount, but where can I put the jack? I guess under the oil pan would be a bad idea, right?

4. Ole don

Ole don

On a 55 V 8 the starter has to be lifted up and around, then the steering turned to get it down. It will come out and go back in, but it sure isnt easy.

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes, I remember those, It won't come straight out you have to lift the end up and out and work the starter drive past the flywheel.

6. Protofuria

Protofuria
    from France

thanks for the advices guys, I'll try it as soon as I can!

7. Roadagent2

Roadagent2

I did this last summer. If the car is on stands, it would help if you had a pair of hands helping from above at the fender holding and guiding as the second pair of hands are doing the same from below. Thats what I did and it worked. When I tried by myself, the starter was too heavy to guide and hold for any period of time....Be patient and it will go in!
    If you have it on a hoist bring it down, I would still recommend the above tactic!

Good luck!

8. Rocket Scientist Chris

Rocket Scientist Chris
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is how I remove the starter on my 1955 Mercury:

1. Remove battery and battery tray.

2. Remove heater blower motor/housing and the plenum on the fire wall.

3. Remove generator and bracket.

4. Remove cable and attaching bolts from starter.

5. Pull starter out from the bellhousing and forward, between the frame and engine.

6. The starter can now be lifted out from the area of the battery and generator.

This is all done with the car on the ground. To install, just reverse the steps. I know this sounds horribly complex, but it beats trying to get the starter out from under the car. Hope this helps! :D

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  9. It definately takes some time...almost a work of ar. I have dont it multiple times in my 56.

10. Porttownsend119

Porttownsend119

I'm trying to replace the starter on my 55 Merc Monterey Sedan and I tell you what...it's gonna call for drastic measures. In the Dave Graham original 1954-55 pdf manual it claims that you drop the stabilizer arm out of the way and then lower the starter out, tail end first. It can't be done. The shaft and starter drive are too long to clear in that manner. So, I wrangled it tail end up as far as I could get it to go...and I got it pretty far, but it hits three things that will not allow it to be removed: a 1/4 inch extension of metal on the block, the crossmember, and the bolts and washers on the upper suspension arm. I know it only needs about 1/4 inch more of clearance before it will swing out of the way, and even that's questionable because the tail end is pretty wedged up in there between the three things I mentioned before. As for jacking up the front of the engine...that might have worked if the exhaust manifolds, pipes, drive line, transmission tail mount, and whatnot wasn't attached. I could almost pry it out of there and then on the replacement starter, compress the drive spring temporarily and remove the pin holding it onto the shaft and then once it's in there, replace the pin and decompress the spring somehow - BUT...I'm seriously going to scratch up the lovely paint job I just did on the replacement starter I just rebuilt! So...I'm gonna wait until it's light out again and see if there's another way. :confused:

Porttownsend119
    http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.433568016700600.106209.404196962971039&type=1

11. Porttownsend119

Porttownsend119

As for removing the blower assembly and generator - I don't see how that's physically possible to then move the starter backward because the tail end of the starter is pointing straight at the crossmember and above that is the motor mount. Even if the motor mount were removed, there's only 3 or so inches of space between the crossmember and the block and the starter is 4-1/2 inches. Perhaps it's a totally different configuration on the Montclair or coupe. It's just not physically possible. I may have to disconnect a bunch of stuff and raise the front of the engine. Right now, that's all I can see working.

Porttownsend119

12. Porttownsend119

Porttownsend119

I'm trying to replace the starter on my 55 Merc Monterey Sedan and I tell you what...it's gonna call for drastic measures. In the Dave Graham original 1954-55 pdf manual it claims that you drop the stabilizer arm out of the way and then lower the starter out, tail end first. It can't be done. The shaft and starter drive are too long to clear in that manner. So, I wrangled it tail end up as far as I could get it to go...and I got it pretty far, but it hits three things that will not allow it to be removed: a 1/4 inch extension of metal on the block, the crossmember, and the bolts and washers on the upper suspension arm. I know it only needs about 1/4 inch more of clearance before it will swing out of the way, and even that's questionable because the tail end is pretty wedged up in there between the three things I mentioned before. As for jacking up the front of the engine...that might have worked if the exhaust manifolds, pipes, drive line, transmission tail mount, and whatnot wasn't attached. I could almost pry it out of there and then on the replacement starter, compress the drive spring temporarily and remove the pin holding it onto the shaft and then once it's in there, replace the pin and decompress the spring somehow - BUT...I'm seriously going to scratch up the lovely paint job I just did on the replacement starter I just rebuilt! So...I'm gonna wait until it's light out again and see if there's another way. :confused:

Porttownsend119
    http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.433568016700600.106209.404196962971039&type=1

13. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Is there any good reason for the repeat post ?

14. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Not unless someone wasn't listening...

15. Rocket Scientist Chris

Rocket Scientist Chris
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The steps I outlined in my previous post are what I used on my '55 Monterey. My Merc has power steering, so getting the starter out from under the car ment disconnecting the cylinder and dropping the idler arm. Taking the starter out through the top is alot easier. The last time I pulled the OEM starter out, I replaced it with one of the newer, reduction gear types. Yes, it was expensive. But, I haven't had to replace a starter in years! :D

One thing to consider is the age of your motor mounts. Old, mushy mounts can make your motor sag quite a bit. That may be the clearance you need! :)

16. RayJarvis

RayJarvis

if memory serves, these starters throw starter gear toward srarter not away as in a modern starter. once the starter bolts are remove it could be possible to remove directly if you physically jig the starter gear into its nuetral position . this sometimes gives you the nessecary clearance

17. Yeah its a pain, but just twisting the steering around and fighting it is your best bet. I've got a power steering car which makes it a little rougher, but not by much. FWIW, I've changed it on the ground, on stands, and on a lift, and it has been a bitch each time.

The BEST part is putting one in. If you thought it was fun taking out, you're in for a blast putting it in. That top bolt is a pita. But besides that it isn't that rough.

It must freak people out to see you driving it around in france

On a side not, its a stater solenoid not a relay, just so you know!