Register now to get rid of these ads!

Starter question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hoplias, Aug 1, 2013.

1. hoplias

hoplias
    from California

I was helping my friend today with his starter .He had a oem starter and he got a mini starter.He didnt have a starter solenoid with the oem one but its saying with the mini that in needs one if the oem one was a R starter .It is a R starter that he had .

He has a Ron Francis wiring kit on it with a single wire alt and Hei dist .

Hooked up to the oem starter one was the main positive line ,the starter wire, a gauge ground and a amp gauge positive .There is also a starter coil wire the but not hooked up on both ends under dash and at starter .
    My Question is does he need a starter solenoid or can the wires just be hooked up again to the starter directly?
    Where should that starter coil wire go and if it is needed ? anything else would be appreciated .

2. hoplias

hoplias
    from California

There is also a orange resistor wire too that is not hooked up .I forgot to mention .Thanks

3. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Guessing it is a GM motor. With the HEI dist, you do not need the R wire at all. All it did was run 12 volts to the coil to increase spark when staring the motor. As soon as the starter disengaged, the coil voltage dropped back to approx. 8 volts( through the ballast resistor/or resistor wire). The HEI runs on 12 V constantly. Hope this helps.

4. hoplias

hoplias
    from California

Yeah its a chevy .Thanks that clears it up .