Register now to get rid of these ads!

Starter Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 67Imp.Wagon, Jun 20, 2004.

1. 67Imp.Wagon

67Imp.Wagon

When the brushes in the starter get worn or stuck and are not makeing good contact with the armature, will this cause the solonoid not to engaged at all or will the solonoid still click and engaged and the starter just not turn over?

Trying to run down some starter problems I've had lately.

2. i THINK YOU SUMMED IT UP...THATS PROB WHAT IT WOULD DO..KICK IN BUT NOT TURN -JUST GROWL.

3. 67Imp.Wagon

67Imp.Wagon

I'm getting power to the solonoid but get nothing(no click or engageing) when I turn the key. It has a brand new solonoid on it and has been fine for a week. Last week before putting the new solonoid on it was doing this and after bumping the starter I got it to crank makeing me think it was the brushes. Its been fine all week till last night. Got it to crank and got it home. Once I got it home it cranked kinda hard but today cranks like it has a brand new starter.

I just was'nt sure if the brushes did'nt make contact if the solonoid would even kick in.

It does have power to the solonoid but does'nt even click when it does have the problem.

Like I said before everything is fine now so It's hard running it down when everthing is working.Just trying to figure out why the solonoid does'nt do anything when power is getting to it.

4. BLAKE

BLAKE

The starter on the Buick had a similar problem after I had it rebuilt. Every once in a while it would act totally dead - no clicking or anything - then after a while it would work fine. Took it back to the rebuild shop and they said it was a burnt armature that they missed the first time.

I'm not an expert on electric motors, but assuming that the armature was really my problem this may give you an idea where to start since it sounds like the same problem you're having.

5. 67Imp.Wagon

67Imp.Wagon

Thanks Buford, I was thinking of takeing it to get rebuilt if I can't figure it out. I have a problem at the local parts places getting the right starter for a Chevy(imagine that) that fit right. This one fits well with no shims and I've decided to keep it forever.

The one I have is supposedly for a 67 camero (thats what the guy told me when I bought it,after extensive searching for one that matched my old one) but when we pull ones for a 67 now its not even close.

6. Deyomatic

Deyomatic
    from CT

There is a guy in Phoenix that is a genius when it comes to rebuilding this kind of stuff. The company is called GenStar in Glendale, so if there aren't any reputable starter shops in DFW, let me know and I'll look them up for you.

7. 67Imp.Wagon

67Imp.Wagon

Thanks Deyo. Not sure about reputable but I know we got a few shops around here.

8. Ayers Garage

Ayers Garage

There's only one starter shop that comes to mind here in Ft Worth. Do not use them. Seriously, I've been forced to use them for years by the place I worked at. I've had to go back and forth up to three times in one day to finally get a good one from them.

Look in Dallas or something.

9. There's a place on Pioneer before you get to Fielder that
    did my radiator, they also rebuild automotive electronics
    stuff, starters, alternators, etc.

I can dig up my recipt and give you a phone number if
    you're interested.

And put the heat shield back on!!
    TZ

10. 67Imp.Wagon

67Imp.Wagon

Flt blk, I'll check into that one and I know of one in G.P. thats been there for at least 20 years.

Hillbilly give us a name so we don't use em.

11. Ayers Garage

Ayers Garage

Cabe's starter and generator in Ft Worth.

This is not isolated, I have nothing but bad luck from them repetively for 10+ years. It's pretty much the only game in FW, so everyone hears about it from everyone else.

12. 67Imp.Wagon

67Imp.Wagon

Thanks Hillbilly. I think I'm gonna give the one in G.P. a call.

It's called Merek's. I found the # and they have been there since 1955. I knew I had seen the place forever but I did'nt know it had been there that long.