Register now to get rid of these ads!

starter plate question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 26Troadster, Aug 16, 2012.

1. 26Troadster

26Troadster

i know it is a stupid question, but i'm at wits end. i have a small block in my roadster and a th400 trans, no room for a clutch paddle so i need to stay auto. the starter bolt holes where drilled to far out on the block, so i have shaved the starter down .082 and i have cut on the block and the starter is still to far out from the flex plate. my question is do y'all think a block plate for a blow shield with bell housing mounted starter will hold up with a auto trans. i'm just short of pulling this motor and finding another. i'm not really wanting to build another motor , but i got to do something.

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

If the starter mounting holes in the block are factory, they are not like "drilled too far out". What is more likely is that you have the wrong starter for the drive plate you are using. There are two different flywheel tooth counts, hence different diameter flywheels (also applies to drive plates).

Ray

3. Definitely a mis-match of components here. Determine what flywheel you have (153T or 168T). I forget what a factory Chevy TH400 came with, but whatever it is, it has to be compatible with the starter.

Bob

4. 26Troadster

26Troadster

i know for a fact i have a 168 flex plate and the staggered bolt starter and i have changed the flex plate twice and starter once because the first one got cracked. i can pull the trans and put a cast iron bell housing with the bell housing starter and no problems with the flex plate and have compared it to my flywheel. i have measured the bolt holes and compared them to another block and they are to far out, it is 3/32" out to far. the motor came out of a 1 1/2 ton truck and had the cast iron bell housing with it when i got it. i built the motor in the late 90's and never had any luck with either the small or the big flex plates and starter combo. i know that i can take a 1/8" rod and it should go between the teeth of the flex plate and the starter shaft and should be a fair fit, but you can rattle the hell out it on this one.

5. 26Troadster

26Troadster

6. ... so is there a special 1 1/2 ton truck flexplate?

7. 26Troadster

26Troadster

had a big stick on it when i got it. mid 70's c60 truck.

8. dave lewis

dave lewis
    from Nampa ID

Buy an aftermarket starter ( i suggest the msd unit ) that fits both diameter flywheels.
    They have 4 mounting holes straight across....
    Have someone slot the outer set of holes slightly, push it in toward the ring gear...tighten bolts...
    Next time you convert a truck block borrow my fixture !!
    Dave

9. 26Troadster

26Troadster

i'm a machinist but never wanted to slot the holes, i guess i could dowel it too.

10. aaggie

aaggie

You do know that Chevy uses special shouldered bolts to mount the starter? Useing hardware store 3/8" bolts won't let the starter align with the block. The factory bolts have a knurled section around them

11. He was referring to a stick set up, which is the big flywheel. Not applicable to the TH400 installation.

Bob

12. 26Troadster

26Troadster

good to see someone from my home area, i grew up in new caney. yes i knew about the bolts and had to shorten them up and reknurl them. thinking about pulling the 350 out but the only thing i got to go back in with at the moment is a 454, and that means alot of changes that i'm just not ready to do.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2012
  13. Bad Eye Bill

Bad Eye Bill
    from NB Canada

:D I thought all that Chevy stuff all bolted up no problem, well that's what they told us MoPar guys. :D