Register now to get rid of these ads!

Starter interchange for 1954 Pontiac straight 8

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by IDTag, Aug 11, 2008.

1. IDTag

IDTag
    from Boise, ID

Picked up a '54 Chieftain Friday afternoon. Body is reasonably straight but the engine got picked over. Biggest problem is no starter and I haven't been able to track a used one down on eBay or classifieds. Hate the thought of spending $250 for a new one just to see if the old girl is a runner.

Any other starters that will fit this car? It's got the 3 speed manual trans.

2. 49-54 Pontiac 8 are the same with your trans.

Cars with Powerglide transmissions will not work.

3. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Gee standard trans !!! give the sucker a PUSH !!

4. IDTag

IDTag
    from Boise, ID

Yeah thought of that but the wife said the idea me sitting in the engine compartment checking for spark while the car rolled down the road was stupid. I should never ask her to help with stuff like that.:rolleyes:

The thing's been sitting for at least 15 years without being run. The engine is free but that's all I got at this point.

5. I thought I might have one, but all I have for these years are a distributor and a couple carbs. I'd be surprised if pretty much any Pontiac eight manual trans starter didn't bolt up. I know the inventory list I made, doesn't note automatic or manual, I don't think the books I looked them up in did either.

6. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Cads, Oldses, Buicks...V8s, inlines, all are similar. Just make a cardboard template of the 'footprint' and placement of the 2 bolts, and go from there. Idaho has a large number of older wrecking yards. Find the end housing that fits, then match up some miscellaneous starter cases and you will be surprised at how many interchange. We're talking Delco-Remy here, not "Pontiac, Oldsmobile..."

7. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

OK tell her she is a coward !! Then run !! If the engien turns freely pull the plugs ,block a wheel ,jack up one rear wheel. Put trans in high and turn the wheel by hand. She should be able to see a spark then. As far as that goes tighten up the fan belt good and tight and with plugs out trun the engine over that way. Or with the cap off the dist and ign. on points open short across with a screwdriver and you should get spark from the coil wire to cap with it disconected from the cap. Ya might clean the points first before anything else with sandpaper or a point file. If there is sour/old gas in the tank set up a temporary tank of some sort.

Roughshod Rod likes this.
  8. Crestliner

Crestliner

Hollander say 49-54 Pontiac std. trans.

9. Roughshod Rod

Roughshod Rod

Did you have any luck with a starter or find any decent cross reference parts lists? I have a 6 and am trying not to pay $300 for a starter...

10. BJR

BJR

9 year old thread.

11. Roughshod Rod

Roughshod Rod