Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Started spec'ing out parts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mr T body, Oct 11, 2012.

1. 32fenderless

32fenderless

My preference is chrome dust caps and flat plates for the rear.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. loudbang

loudbang

3. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Was tracking the tire shipment all day and looking forward to getting home, mounting the tires and throwing them on. Got home, changed and headed out to the garage to mount the tires. Got them on with very little hassle then jacked up the right front and pulled off the spoke (insert screeching tire sound now). Those 15x6" 5 on 4.5's? Well, they're close. They pulled 5 on 4.75's instead.
    I have no doubt it'll be corrected quickly, but talk about let downs. Anyhow, this shot shows how much taller I went with this tire over the others..... 2" taller. Well, back to wiring......
    [​IMG]

kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  4. Bummer....:confused:

loudbang likes this.
  5. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Talked to Rebel and we'll get this corrected next week. Decided to go with flat plates on the rear and chrome dust caps on the front. Voila! Traditional....... lol

loudbang and 32fenderless like this.
  6. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

I hope someone in my house knows electrical. :eek:
    I'm only about 5 circuits away from done, so it looks further away than it really is. We're here for the next 3 weeks so I should be able to get the wiring finished, blow it apart, do the finish work and paint on the tank, THEN re-assemble and fire.
    [​IMG]

kidcampbell71, loudbang and Chucky like this.
  7. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Doesn't look like it, but this is near the end. Tank's back on to do the final trim of wires before I solder on the last connectors. Then the tank comes back off, blown apart for paint and wiring in the tank is finish wrapped.
    [​IMG]

8. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Apart for the last time. Yes, that's supposed to be a harness (it'll clean up a bit while it's out). Time for a bit of metalwork, paint and reassemble the harness and gauges.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Made progress with the first coat of epoxy primer. Need to skim some filler where the panels were added then time for finish paint and re-assembly.
    [​IMG]

10. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Done about all I can do on the harness until the tank's painted I start re-assembly. Can't tell you HOW over I am with wiring. Of course I'll be saying that about bondo this weekend too......
    [​IMG]

11. loudbang

loudbang

Wiring looks nice and tidy.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  12. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Thanks. The idea is that the old tank is now a "module". With all the electronics inside, doing any wiring/repair will be difficult with it installed, so my thinking was it'd be easier to just unplug 4 connectors and a couple terminals and pull the tank out complete to work on it on the bench.
    At least that's the plan.....

Bam.inc and loudbang like this.
  13. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Body, prime and prep today. Paint tomorrow! I hope my painting skills are better than my bondo skills (self inflicted booger on the top)!
    [​IMG]

14. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Hit the garage early. Before you look at the pic, keep in mind this is a learning deal.... I'm not a body man and I'm sure not a painter. The past 4-1/2 years has been trying new things and sometimes crashing and burning. The next car will be leaps and bounds above this just from what I've learned. Unfortunately, the next project won't be HAMB friendly, but this isn't done quite yet......
    [​IMG]

15. loudbang

loudbang

Looks very good for a beginner. :) Just keep thinking about the grand you saved doing it yourself. :rolleyes:

16. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Funny, that's exactly what the wife said!

loudbang likes this.
  17. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Sometimes I can't leave well enough alone, but it doesn't always bite me. Spent some time with 600, 1000 and 2000 grit to take some orange peel out. Not show quality, but let's call it "nice street".
    Time to assemble this sucker. Took all next week off to get this on the road by Labor Day.
    [​IMG]

kidcampbell71, alanp561 and loudbang like this.
  18. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Here's a kind of before and after shot. I cut and buffed the tank at this point but not the access door. I'm glad I took day to make it just a little bit better.
    [​IMG]

19. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

A few pics of the "module" being assembled. All downhill from here......
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. loudbang

loudbang

Looks great. some people say the difference between amateurs and pros is not the paint itself but how you do the good part by cutting buffing and whatever to get it like yours came out yours looks great.

Mr T body likes this.
  21. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Got lights, power windows, gauges. Going to be spinning and starting it tomorrow or Friday. I need to go buy 4 ramps to get some work room under it. [​IMG] It's almost PAINFUL how close it is. I have to make a punch list each night just to keep from rushing it.
    Pics later....

loudbang likes this.
  22. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Speaks for itself.......

23. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Finally made it out of the garage under it's own power. Chasing gremlins , but what else is new.
    [​IMG]

24. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

I've put a few miles on it to shake it down, but have to address the fuel filler issue. I can't fill it in the trunk and need to vent the tank to the outside, so I've been looking at what I can adapt that won't look too street roddy.
    Came up with this filler neck from a 50's Chevy truck. It'll come through the body on the top edge of the quarter at an angle. I'll need to modify the body brace inside the trunk, but otherwise the placement would look like crap.
    Stay tuned.....
    [​IMG]

Bam.inc and loudbang like this.
  25. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

I'm not real thrilled with the filler neck I have coming and to be honest the only reason I'm going with that is for a tank vent outside the trunk. After work I decided to hardline a vent outside the trunk, but I don't know yet if it's temporary or if I'm going to run with it. Put as tall a loop in it as possible and all the runs go "downhill", so any vapor won't pool in low spots.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

26. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Well I'm trying my hand at parts of the interior. I have Fat Mat, carpet, padding and Veltex snaps coming to put something on the floor. With the brake master and battery accessible through the floor, I'll be using snaps to hold down the front section of carpet and make it easily accessible. The Veltex snaps kind of intrigued me as they will essentially be hidden when the carpet's down. I'll probably need an upholstery shops help sewing the edge binding to the carpet, but what's the worst that can happen? Waste some material trying something new? I got used to that some time ago......

kidcampbell71 and Bam.inc like this.
  27. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Got the sound deadener trimmed, it'll get stuck down in the morning. Carpet pad will get trimmed for the front, then the carpet. If I can get it done soon enough, I can get the carpet sections to the upholsterer so they can sew the vinyl edge binding on.
    carpet1.jpg

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
    kidcampbell71 and 32fenderless like this.
  28. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Deadener's down, finished trimming the carpet and got it to the upholsterer. Trying a shop close to home hoping it comes out right. It'll be done by Tuesday night, so we'll see. Finding interior shops that don't try gouging you is like trying to find a painter that doesn't drink.
    I'll start gluing down smaller carpet sections tomorrow......

29. Bam.inc

Bam.inc
    from KS

Really enjoying the finish line, I'm only 5 yrs behind you & @ snail pace, but I appreciate your attention to details & time spent sharing them with us.
    Thanx, looking real good!

Sent from my SM-G955U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

30. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Probably about 2/3 of the way done with the carpet. I'll finish the firewall and trunk floor tomorrow night. Then just glue the pad on the carpet and install the snaps.
    carpet2.jpg