Register now to get rid of these ads!

Started making my Turtle Deck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by R Frederick, May 6, 2013.

1. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Been pondering putting a Turtle Deck on my roadster for some time now and keeping my eyes open for one, but I always knew that I'd have to cut one up too much to really get it to fit the way I want. I'd hate to ruin a nice one only to end up making it from scratch anyway. I've even considered cutting up front fenders off a van to make one.
    Luckily, the sharp eye of a buddy caught a back window panel for a vintage pickup of some sort at a local swap meet for $30. Decided last night to hack this up to see if it'd work. I welded the window opening welt back in as some sort of finished edge for the trunk lid opening. The fuel cell will be much safer, forbid a stoplight rear end should happen. I just hated having that flimsy can at my neck, and I think this should turn out just as good looking if I get it to look right. It's a little narrower than I was thinking, but when I got to looking at it - I think it looks right.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Looks way too small to me.

3. kwoodyh

kwoodyh

I'm digging it!

4. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Well, it is small, but so is this one. I'm going for a racy look. If it were any bigger, it would make the car look back heavy.
    [​IMG]

5. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

OK, more "cheapass" fabrication, lol. My company tore down a Walgreens last winter, so naturally, I went through the store beforehand and salvaged all the stainless steel door covers and kick plates. I got a sheet big enough to cut strips over 46" for my fuel cell. A kick plate I got was a pretty heavy gauge for the top straps.
    [​IMG]
    It just sucks cutting that much with a cutoff wheel. I also got my saddle made out of angle tonight.
    [​IMG]

6. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Well, I have the bracketry, etc. figured out. I still need to extend the frame rails. I just hope I don't have to move the rear end back to make it look right, it's looking a little longer than I imagined. I might have to go wider with the trunk, but I can't quite picture it yet.
    [​IMG]

7. metalman

metalman

Do you really need that big of a cell? Sorry, but I'm not liking where I see this going, too big a tank and too far out behind the tires. Besides, IMHO I'd just as soon take my chances getting rear ended with the tank you had high and in front of the tires as that plastic tank hanging out there. I know they call them cells but that plastic tank is just a tank with foam inside, no bladder so it can rupture and dump fuel just like any tank will. Also the bottom rear fuel outlets work good on the dragstrip but not a good idea on the streets and I believe really are not legal for street use.

8. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

But I will have a sheet metal "firewall" covering the tank. Not saying it is safe, but a little safer. I'm not talking a full speed rear ender, just a bump at a stop light. I picked the tank because it's 10 gallon, same as the model T tank. Can't imagine having less fuel. It will not technically be hanging out there since I'll be extending the frame rails and putting a small bumper on.
    I may be wrong, and making this into something that will never look right. But I need to go through this to figure out will work, I guess. Hopefully I'll make a believer if you. If I hate it, I can always put it back.

9. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I could be wrong, but unless you move the rear end and tires back it will look "wrong".

If that makes sense :)

10. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

I'm gonna throw a little bit in here concerning foam-filled plastic tanks. The foam will slow down the leak in the event of a puncture. It will also cause fuel pickup problems if you do not have a baffle around the pickup.

11. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

It has really, really odd proportions.

Seeing your inspiration I understand what you're trying to do, but it just doesn't have the same look. And I'm saying it because I would want someone to do the same for me. (and that has honestly saved me from a couple of goofy looking ideas over time)

12. DO you want to sale the T tank?

13. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Just took care of it, and it's authentic to the era.:D
    With the length it needs to be, the width was way off. This stock style was exactly what I originally intended to do anyway, I just couldn't find one reasonably priced.
    Just bought this on EBay, going to pick it up this weekend.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Looks good, but you will still have to move the axle back to make it look right.

15. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

We'll see.

16. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Indeed, a direct side view picture showing wheel position will tell the tale. :)

17. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

I agree, it might look like the wheel is farther forward in that pic. I still think it might be a smidge too far forward according to the following side shot. I would only be able to move it 3" back, but with a lot of work. the worst I can do is try, lol.
    It's going to hang over a little, I'm with you hoping it won't look too bad.

[​IMG]

18. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

Huh. The first pix looks like a Chicken's tail

19. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

lol, I just did some cutting and pasting of a pic I found. It is going to hang a little out over the back, but I think the bulk up at the body helps. Keep in mind the car will be the same color as the deck when done.:confused:
    [​IMG]

20. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I think your cut and paste has some real possibilities. Starting to come around proportion wise.

Frank

21. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Thanks, as you can see by the pliers, the back of that should look actual. I know it might look a little award, but I hope it doesn't in person. I'm going to stare at it a lot still, lol.:)

22. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

something to look at would be t buckets that have pickup box's, then look at ones that have turtle decks. quite a few i have seen don't move the rear back, gives it that altered drag car look. i personally like the axle centered with the deck. but that's just me. i think it gives it a stock look. i learned a long time ago, change one thing and you have to change a bunch of other things too. good luck!!

23. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I think I agree with the center the wheel in the length of the rear deck line of thought.

Otherwise I think it will look off somehow. If you need the 3" then use it, if you need more then you will have to adjust the size and shape of the tank, or whatever it takes to get it looking right.

It's fun isn't it.

I know this isn't a direct side shot, but I centered the axle-wheel in the middle of my RPUs small bed. I did it that way during the build so it isn't as much as you are taking on now however you can do it.

In the end you will like the results if it looks right to you.
    Look long and hard at it and the answer will come to you :)

Attached Files:

24. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Yep, I'm not disagreeing at all. But it will have to come one step at a time. It's summer now, and I don't want to be torn down all season.;)

25. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Getting er done. Gonna make the straps tomorrow, and picking up the trunk this weekend.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. NortonG

NortonG
    Member Emeritus

If you mount it high, I think it'll look really 60's and bitchin'!

Just paint it body colour and go.

27. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Got the straps done. It'd be cool to have this ready to just set the deck on and go, but I know better, lol.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. HEYYYYYYYYYYYY, that pic looks real familiar (the plastic deck)
    :D

29. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Lol, I think I got it from another thread here, must be yours.:D The angle you took the pic was perfect for my car, I'll give it back after the weekend if it's okay.:eek:

30. LMAO. Yea, its from a classifieds post. I'll let you use it this time :D

I think the original style one you bought looks much better than the other one.