Register now to get rid of these ads!

Standard 1320 Drag Race & Reunion - Phoenix 4-14

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by stan292, Feb 21, 2007.

1. stan292

stan292

[FONT=arial,helvetica]Gang-[/FONT]
    [FONT=arial,helvetica][/FONT]
    [FONT=arial,helvetica]Here's some official info about the event I mentioned here a couple weeks back. This should have pretty much the same "feel" as the HAMB drags - except with a ton more race cars - nitro "cackler" FE dragsters, etc. [/FONT]

These are good, laid-back guys who did it all back in the day. Everyone is welcome and you can bet it will be lots of fun. If you have questions, don't hesitate to get in touch with Ron Miller. He'll be happy to talk with you.

If you like the "old days" stuff, this is the place to go. A great chance to rub elbows with the true "heros" of early days drag racing.
    [FONT=arial,helvetica][/FONT]
    [FONT=arial,helvetica]The 3rd Annual Standard 1320 Invitational Drag Race & Reunion is being held On Saturday ,April 14,2007 at Speedworld Dragstrip, Northwest of Phoenix,AZ.[/FONT]

[FONT=arial,helvetica]Standard 1320 is an internet group whose goal is to honor and preserve the history of drag racing from the era of 1955 to 1972. [/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]65 members plan on attending and participating along with 100 non-members [/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]from 9 states[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica] on the entry lists.[/FONT]
    [FONT=arial,helvetica] [/FONT]
    [FONT=arial,helvetica]Numerous roadsters,coupes ,sedans of the nostalgia era are being invited to attend for "atmosphere".[/FONT]
    [FONT=arial,helvetica]
    Cars to be racing,making exhibition passes,and match/grudge racing include: Nostalgia Top Fuel,Nostalgia Funny Car, NE 1- (7.60 dragsters, funny cars ,altereds),Fuel altereds,Gassers, a large contingent of flatheads & inliners and 15-20 injected,carbed, FEDS from surrounding states.Featured will be the Chuck Tanko/Wic Brokers Arizona Race of Champions for
    [/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica] Injected Nitro Dragsters with a posted $7500 purse.[/FONT]
    [FONT=arial,helvetica]
    There will be an area set aside for the numerous cackle/and display cars. Planned are photo,memorabilia,and film displays.

Friday night, April 13 Dinner at nearby El Paso BBQ
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=arial,helvetica]Saturday April 14 1320 race from 8 am till 6 pm
    Saturday night, April 14 Food,tall tales,and drink at the track after sundown,
    with some fireups by the cacklers. 1320 will provide nitro.
    Sunday, April 15 Flathead/inliners will continue running in a segment of the
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=arial,helvetica] normal race activities.
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=arial,helvetica]Several print and internet publications will cover the affair.Another feature will be
    the presence of many members of the Arizona Drag Race Hall of Fame.
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=arial,helvetica]Standard 1320 wishes to retain the charm and friendliness of its prior events, while [/FONT]
    [FONT=arial,helvetica]growing the event to make future such events possible .
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=arial,helvetica]For info contact Ron Miller
    [email protected]
    H 928-289-4537
    C 928-853-2439
    2350 Old Hwy 66
    Winslow,Az.

[/FONT]

2. Tinman

Tinman
    from Orange, CA

When I lived in LA my neighbor was a Std. 1320 member and he was always hyped about this event... Can't wait!

3. stan292

stan292

BTTT for the evening guys.

4. crowerglide

crowerglide
    from Tyler, TX

5. JRV

JRV
    from So Cal

Nostalgia Eliminator??? I thought they were worried about a big car count and they didn't want to prep the track????

6. I will be there for sure this year with the coupe

7. hell yea I am going to be there.

8. Builtforsin

Builtforsin

Can you push it back a couple of weeks? I'll be in town May 1-7. Thanks in advance :)

9. ShakeyPuddin55

ShakeyPuddin55

BTTT.

I cant race my 55, so I'm taking my 32 Ford out there. This is a really cool event.

10. jerry

jerry

I'll be there, my daughter had enough fun at the last race, she wants to go again!

jerry

11. BetterPix

BetterPix

That race sounds awesome. No money, No time, No go.:(

12. Tinman

Tinman
    from Orange, CA

Hey Stan or Jerry? Do you guys know the schedule for Saturday?
    I have to work but want to make it out there later in the day if they're still running...

13. Mike

Mike

Tinman, the gates open at 8:00am and qualifying begins at 9:00am, for more info check the Speedworld web site. www.speedworldmotorplex.com

My girlfriend is in town this weekend, but I'm pretty sure I can convince her that we need go race Thumper on Saturday.

14. Tinman

Tinman
    from Orange, CA

Thanks Mike... I won't be out there until the man releases me so I just wanted to be sure there would still be some action.
    ...and if I can convince my girlfriend to go to these things, anyone can! Your 150 looks bitchin' on the track...
    Did a little googling and found this info:

*Friday night, April 13 Dinner at nearby El Paso BBQ

*Saturday April 14 1320 race from 8 am till 6 pm

*Saturday night, April 14 Food,tall tales,and drink at the track after sundown, with some fireups by the cacklers. 1320 will provide nitro.

*Sunday, April 15 Flathead/inliners will continue running in a segment of the normal race activities.

15. Justin B

Justin B

looks like i'll make it out for a little while saturday morning. gotta pick up pop's new willys project and the guys only 10 minutes from the track.

16. jerry

jerry

About time you got over here!

jerry

17. jerry

jerry

I can hardl wait til tomorrow vfor this race!

jerry

18. Justin B

Justin B

leaving now, see ya saturday

19. ShakeyPuddin55

ShakeyPuddin55

Was that your Willys sitting on a trailer? When we came in, I saw what looked like a 37-39 Willys nose but didn't see if it was a coupe, sedan, or truck. I went back later but it was gone. Please tell me more about it.

20. Mike

Mike

Hoo Dogies! What fun! All you Phoenix goons who missed this one are chumps! This was a bitchin', kinda low key gig. Nitro burners, twin flathead rail, Model B banger powered rail that turned 12s, all kinds of other bitchin' machines.

I was runner up in the Non-Electronic Gambler class and won $100. The guy that beat me did so by less than 3 hundredths of a second. My best run was a 14.67 at 95mph on a 14.65 dial in. On my second elimination run, I pulled a complete pinhead move and started out in 3rd gear :eek: (car is a 4 speed) and ran 17.13 at 90mph. Good thing that was a by run for me, so I advanced anyway. This was only my third time on a drag strip and I'm diggin' it. The best thing about not getting eliminated is that I got to make more passes, winning the dough was just gravy.

Man, I had a blast. My thanks to the Standard 1320 folks for putting on this gig, it was a bitchin' deal.

Anyone out there have any pics they can post?

21. Whose got photos?

22. Justin B

Justin B

shakey the willys is my dads, it's kind of a mut, the cab, frame and title are 41, the nose is 38, and the bed is off of a chevy? thats been cut down. he had a 41 truck in the 60's and has kinda been looking for one off and on for awhile to replace it. this time he wanted a 37-39 because "knowone would ever make a glass front end that ugly so everyone would know it's steel". anyways i was looking around on craigslist about 6 months back and this one was on there for a decent price, i told dad about it and he made a deal with the guy and sent him a deposit. dad won't drive with a trailer so i had to drive him out there and it took awhile before we both had a free weekend to do it. anyways he finally has another willy's and it's in better shape than expected from the pictures.
    i've got a complete isky/gilmer 6-71 setup ready to bolt on a sbc and he keeps saying he's going to borrow/steal it from me so i guess the truck will end up with a blown chevy and probably just a turbo 350, it's already got a 57 chevy posie rear end, but that might get replaced with a olds/pontiac rear, the front end is stock and will probably stay that way but might get disc brakes. he said he's tired of body work so he's just going to leave it as is for awhile.
    anyways here's a pic of the new project GEEZERS GASSER

[​IMG]

we made the trip to the track saturday morning but only stayed till about 12 since we had a 7 hour drive ahead of us ( crap it was windy in the windmill valley)
    anyways here's a few shots from the races sat morning

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

i think the guy sitting on the wall must have shit himself when this started drifting towards him

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

shakeys 32 ?

[​IMG]

speed sport 1 and 2
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

pops got a new project, we got to hang out with jerry for awhile, and watch some pretty decent racing at a cool litle track, overall it was a fun weekend.

23. jerry

jerry

That's his dad's new project. I beleive a 41 PU with 39 front sheetmetal.

Saw your car there, missed seeing you until you were driving out! Very impressive ride.

jerry

24. ShakeyPuddin55

ShakeyPuddin55

Justin,
    That old Willys is cool! Wish I could have saw it in person. Cant believe I missed it on Craigslist. I dont need another project anyways and it sounds like it's going to a good home.
    I like the fact you are leaving the older steel nose on there. The 38 nose style has grown on me over the years. Please keep us updated.

Jerry, thanks for the compliment. My car is no trailer queen but I had my boys with me and they wanted to ride on the MX track next door. So we loaded everything up and trailered. What car did you bring?

25. jerry

jerry

I had my 50 chev PU out there. Out in bumfart parking. Bare metal front fender and red hood, hard to miss!

You going to Primer Run in Tombstone?

jerry

26. Mike

Mike

Hey ya Justin, I'm bummed that I didn't meet up with you out there, I spent a good chunk of the morning waiting to run in the staging lanes. Thanks for posting the pics.

P.S. Did you get any pics of my orange '57 Chevy by chance?