Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Stance and wheel selection...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DrSweeneyRod, Jun 4, 2013.

1. DrSweeneyRod

DrSweeneyRod
    from England

When thinking about my build i had thought of most things apart from the wheel selection, now for weeks i have been thinking about a setup to suit my build and think i finally have an idea to suit.
    My build is a 38 ford panel truck with a 38 ford deluxe front clip, so wanted to put on a set up that suited both parts of the truck and get a great stance.
    For the rear a pair 16 x 8 steels with late 30's ford v8 center caps and Crome beauty rings, the larger smooth steels for the commercial side of my project.
    For the front a pair of 15 x 4 early style artillery wheels,again with the v8 ford center caps, the smaller wheels with the finer details to match the 38 deluxe front.
    I think this will give a nice stance and highlight both sides to my truck.

Has anybody had a similar setup or have any opinions ?

Thanks

2. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

IMHO, wheels and tires are such a key part of any build that getting them nailed down to at least their specific sizes and offsets - not necessarily styles - should easily be on your top 5 things to have fingered out before you even start. Your car's front and rear track, custom body or frame work, and of course ride height will be greatly affected by your tire's overall diameters, widths and available offsets. So, look at a LOT of similar cars, talk to places that sell suspension parts, and take a lot of photos / notes of what others have done (good or not so good). Since I don't have a truck like yours, I'd hate to offer some bad guesses. Gary

3. DrSweeneyRod

DrSweeneyRod
    from England

Cheers for the info.

4. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

On all the ones I've built I've been happy with 16 in steelies all around and 5.50x16's up front and 7.00x16's in the rear. Just enough rake and good handling. I like the Firestones because they just look right. They don't drive like radials but I'll sacrifice that for the look. Coker makes a decent looking radial that's close but there's nothing like a set of pie crusts. Here's some pics. I think wheel and tire combo will make or break a car

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1370447845.045714.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1370447882.042747.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1370447913.143360.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Gary said it just about as well as it can be said in post 2. The wheel/tire combo makes or breaks any type of hobbyist vehicle one puts together no matter if it's a 32 highboy or some late model performance ride. It's also the thing that I have seen all too many guys put the least amount of thought into over the past 40 years of attending rod trots. You go to the big events like The Street Rod Nationals or Goodguys events and see way too many fairly fresh cars that have what I refer as the "gimme the cheap ones" wheels and tires fresh from the tires store on a fairly fresh build.

Stance is just as important or more important. A car or truck that sets just right will always look great even if some things on the rig aren't as perfect as they could be. The Hamber's eye usually checks the stance first and then sees the rest of the car and breaks it down into it's elements. You open a thread and see a photo and it's either "whoo, great stance" or "damn, that car could use being a bit lower in the front or a bit higher or lower in the back to be just right". Then you start looking to see what the whole car is about.

6. wex65

wex65
    from WV

7. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Yep..agree.
    Dr. S - your thoughts sound interesting.

I hate seeing 32/33/34, etc. cars...built mostly traditional, very little if any modern thought (maybe a tilt steering column !)...BUT with late model 18", 20", 24" aluminum wheels, of any brand..

Aahh..I think I puked-up a little just saying it..!

Mike

8. DrSweeneyRod

DrSweeneyRod
    from England

All great advice, and as i put in my original post that i have been thinking for a while now about the wheel/tire selection and have thought in great detail about the selection i want to go with, both for looks and for detailing of the truck.
    Even before the truck had been picked up i knew exactly the stance i wanted to go for, it was just what wheels and tires to pick.

Really enjoyed looking through the link.