Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Stainless steel valves

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bonehead II, Mar 21, 2017.

1. Bonehead II

Bonehead II

Hi Guys
    Does any know if stainless steel valves have a harden tips at the end of the stem, I need to take off .100" for my valve train geometry to work..
    Thanks
    Mike

2. RR

RR

I believe they do. Why not buy a set of pushrods that are .1" longer rather than cutting down the valve? Seems a whole lot safer.

falcongeorge likes this.
  3. Look at the tip if it is a different color it is hardened if it is the same color it most likely is not. Not all valves stainless or otherwise are created equal.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  4. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

...until the valves all stay open! :eek::D

5. doyoulikesleds

doyoulikesleds

Might be a dumb question but why not get valves that fit

6. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Your not talking about needing an offset rocker or anything so why not different pushrods? I think your not telling us everything here. Lippy

7. Fordors

Fordors

Like RR and Lippy said go for the pushrods. Less work, no new valve job, set of gaskets, etc. A higher initial cost but easier and cheaper in the long run.

8. doyoulikesleds

doyoulikesleds

Does it have push rods, no engine make or even style in the op

Larry T likes this.
  9. Larry T

Larry T

.100 is a pretty good cut. What's that going to do to your valve keeper groove?

henryj1951 and Hudson31 like this.
  10. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

If you need to shorten valve stems it is easier to shorten them more than needed and make up the difference with a lash cap. Cures all question of stem tip hardness. I too think it would be much simpler to change pushrod length if you have a pushrod engine.Also dont forget to maintain enough material above the top of the keeper groove to prevent pulling the tip off the valve-NOT GOOD!

11. Bonehead II

Bonehead II

Hey Lippy
    Your right I'm telling everything, so here it goes.
    I'm building a 300 HP / 225 slant six, we put the largest valves we could in the head, and doing that the Intake valve had to be sunk in the casting by .100" making my valve length .100" longer. So here what happen's on the slant six its has a rocker shaft, so the rocker and valve stem must be at the factory geometry settings or what happens is that you will go through valve guides in a couple of thousand miles, this has nothing to do with pushrod length.. So this is why I would like to cut off .100" off the stem to bring it back to factory settings, so after this is all done, then I can bolt the head on and measure for pushrod length, since there is .070 off the head and .070 off the deck.
    I hope the helps why I want to cut the tops of my stem's, there lots of room to cut safely,....Last night I chucked up a valve and took off .100" with no problem, I was worried about the rocker hitting the spring retainer, but it makes it, I guess I have answered my own question....Thanks for your time.Guys
    Mike

12. Bonehead II

Bonehead II

These valves I have are new and it not cost me a cent to shorten them.
    Thanks
    Mike

13. greg32

greg32
    from Indiana

Larry T likes this.