Register now to get rid of these ads!

Stainless steel sheet cutting questions.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Max Gearhead, Jun 16, 2012.

1. I've got some .080 stainless steel sheet that needs trimming so I'm looking for info on how to cut it without ruining it. I've got a little hand held electric shears that I've used on aluminum sheet but don't know if it's up to cutting .080 stainless. Any info much appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2012
  2. stoodabaker

stoodabaker

If you have access to a shear , i've put tape on the shear where the ss contacts it , and have cut polished that way with no damage

3. metlmunchr

metlmunchr

Without a shear, about the best thing to use on stainless that thick is thin cutoff wheels for a 4 1/2" grinder. I had to get rid of a flange bent on the edge of some SS sheet a while back so I could get it into my shear and figured I'd give the cutoff wheels a try. Got a 5 pack of the extra thin ones from harbor freight for about 5 bucks and was able to do about 10 ft of cutting with the 5 wheels. If you take it easy and don't try to force the wheel, its pretty easy to cut to a straight line.

Your electric shear isn't gonna do much on the SS unless its a real monster. It takes about 1.5 times as much force to cut stainless as to cut mild steel, so to cut the .080 stainless you'd need shears rated for 11 or 12 gage mild steel.

4. gerry miller

gerry miller

Plasma cutter works great on stainless. Torch won't work for shit.
    Hope that helps..

5. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

wood cutting bandsaw with the blades teeth pointed up, once started, it friction cuts the SS like butter

6. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I borrowed electric shears and did a large sheet, I marked a line with a permanent marker on the rear and turned sheet upside down (Polished side facing down). I did it outside on the lawn so as to cause no damage and cut from the rear. Just hold shears tight and guide the blade over the work surface. Worked out well. Wear ear protection as well as decent gloves as the edge is sharp and will cut if not careful.

7. Gerry Moe

Gerry Moe

Thin cutting wheels (1/16-) and be sure to peel back the protective covering 3-6" back

8. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

Tape on stainless. Draw lines. Jig saw with very fine teeth. Then file the edges. Probably will need some kind of lubricant.

9. Da' Bomb

Da' Bomb

I'd go with the 1/16 wide cut off wheels in a 4 1/2" angle grinder. Don't forget eye and hearing protection.

Pat

10. dutch rudder

dutch rudder
    from houston

Buy a CNC plasma table :D

11. Morrisman

Morrisman
    from England

I go with this too.

Small electric shears won't work on 80 thou SS sheet. Not unless they are pretty heavy duty.