Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Stainless steel advance weights /Distributor weight balancing

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dave phritzie, Mar 19, 2016.

Tags:
  1. dave phritzie

dave phritzie
    from us

I'm looking for some stainless steel distributor advance weights, anyone know of a source for them, or how to change the weight on distributor weights? I need to balance two different materials, one weight has to be iron, and the other stainless steel, but weigh the same when finished so the total combined weight remains consistent when spinning (not out of balance).

2. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

For the little they move would the balance be that critical? Seems to me al long as the advance mechanism
    moves where and when you want it to the relative balance would be immaterial. Why must they be stainless
    anyway?

3. dave phritzie

dave phritzie
    from us

I want to use the iron weight to trigger an injector, cant have the injector firing 180 out, hence the stainless advance weight.

4. If you end up having to fabricate something and it has to be non-ferrous, how about brass or bronze? Got to be easier than working with stainless. ;)

5. wayne-o

wayne-o

Carbon steel and stainless steel weight almost exactly the same by volume. Brass is 12% more.

6. tom in nh

tom in nh

Interesting concept, can you school me on this setup?

7. All the better... You could "Swiss cheese" it to balance it to the other weight. ;)

8. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

I would Also like to see & hear more a bout what you are Playing with !!o_O

9. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

10. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Why not just add another set of points, and use that as a trigger.

11. tom in nh

tom in nh

I remember working on a W116 Mercedes engine with distributor trigger points for the fuel injectors - problems when rubbing block wears out. Injectors operate out of sequence. Another issue is oil mist / leaks coating points - setup is OK when new. Not so much when worn....
    Inquiring minds want to know - what are you up to?!?