Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Stainless louvered marine bilge vents on a hotrod?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by radarsonwheels, Oct 16, 2019.

1. upspirate

upspirate

2 and slide them back the length of one louver and closer to center. Personally I wouldn't use them on a '63

2. v8flat44

v8flat44

Being a former boater [Lyman], i kinda like the idea. But, i also liked the "like" thread.
    Dare to be different !

upspirate likes this.
  3. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

ur jokin' right?

Moondog13 likes this.
  4. Don’t use any

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

5. radarsonwheels

radarsonwheels
    from Philly

Definitely two and maybe a little farther back?

6. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2019-10-27_8-17-43.png
    Hello,
    This idea has to be one of the weirdest threads about louvers. How traditional is adding 2017 marine louvers to a Chevrolet sedan hood? (or your truck) These will just ruin the sedan (or truck hood) and look like something from the Sanford and Son scrap yard. There goes one nice hood and looks for the Chevrolet (and truck hood).

I have used these marine vents as replacements for broken marine vents on power boats and sailboats, that is the purpose of the whole idea. Besides, these marine vents do not last very long exposed to the elements, they get brittle and start cracking. If you get the metal ones, they look awful... The whole thing reminds everyone at those household vents for forced air heating, only smaller.

If you want louvers, get them stamped in place. Sorry, if i am stepping on your toes and ideas, but you will ruin your hood and the overall look of the sedan(and truck hood).

Jnaki

Not even a "newbie" young teenager with wild hot rod ideas would even try this... Don't ruin your perfectly good hood and looks of the Chevy sedan(and truck hood). Please, don't make it look like the start of a Mad Max Chevy sedan or truck... you have a nice sedan (and truck) and we have seen others with small custom things to make them look good.

7. radarsonwheels

radarsonwheels
    from Philly

I hear ya. Here’s the thing- someone with talent can do things that sound wrong but look right. If it’s done wrong it will look like it was pasted on or stolen from a late model boat. Done right it should look like it could have come that way.

I gave up on the idea for my truck- I’m getting louvers punched this week.

But I think the idea fits into the traditional scheme of taking parts and pieces from wherever and sticking them together to make a car the factory should have made? Plenty of folks took louvers from lockers or heaters and make them look like they belong.

G-son likes this.
  8. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

OK folks,
    Not feeling well today, so will be a day or so before I cut them in.
    Have decided to go with two, placed where these are shown, due to the under structure of the hood.
    Appreciate the Yay's as well as Nay's...
    I have several different subtle changes to this Biscayne, including the whole front end, as well as removing two tail lights, and changing the remaining two to semi trailer lights..
    Got a lot of crapola and sarcasm from members here when making those changes, but I love them, and every car show I go to I get many compliments on those, as well as other changes...
    This is not a show car by any means, but it is mine and built on a very low budget... and I love it.. which is really all that counts..
    However as I stated in my original post, I have another hood that I can get cheap, so if I don't like them I will just change hoods.

Attached Files:

radarsonwheels, tb33anda3rd and G-son like this.
  9. radarsonwheels

radarsonwheels
    from Philly

I think that placement is perfect and the color match will go a long way toward making it look like they belong instead of clashing

10. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Did anybody look at the first bellytank and say "yuck, that looks like it's off an airplane"?

Hdonlybob and G-son like this.
  11. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

OK sportsfans...
    Had a bunch of Doctor's appointments the last week so finally got my louvers installed today... (In fact I cancelled a follow up heart appointment this morning cause I am sick of seeing Doctors...will reschedule) lol
    So here they are.
    I am very pleased with them. still need to do some clean up on the hood, wash out the dust and crap from inside the hood, as well as paint the pop rivets ...But hey this gamble paid off big for me...
    Especially with the cost of the louvers (got three) for $35 :)
    And they fit in fine with my semi tail lights, two Harley headlights, Peterbilt small speakers in the small holes of the '55 Chevy grille bar, and plain old mesh behind that.
    This Ol' Man is a happy camper today ...
    And on a side note...what else would you expect on a car named "DELIVERANCE" :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
    kmn5, loudbang and tb33anda3rd like this.
  12. upspirate

upspirate

Looks better body color than SS.
    I would buy the hood and set it aside now while it's available if it's a good one...you or next buyer may decide to change and if it's available...

13. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

jnaki likes this.
  14. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

It is not going anywhere...I also have another trunk with the two tail lights ...

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
    upspirate likes this.
  15. -Brent-

-Brent-

Where's @thunderbirdesq (Andy Kohler, these days)? I swear he's in PA. Pull that hood off and have him punch that hood.

16. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Interesting comments..
    My friends are about the same with it..
    Some really like it, some don't.
    Anyway, after some comments from my MARQUIS Car Club friends I decided to paint them flat black..
    I like even better now...

Attached Files:

v8flat44 and loudbang like this.
  17. G-son

G-son
    from Sweden

Fits well with the other black areas on the car.

loudbang likes this.
  18. the oil soup

the oil soup
    from Tucson,AZ

And on a side note...what else would you expect on a car named "DELIVERANCE" :)[/QUOTE]
    Dueling banjos?

Hdonlybob likes this.
  19. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Dueling banjos?[/QUOTE]

Here is a picture of the mini teardrop trailer I build to haul my handicap scooter around.... notice the lettering :)

Attached Files:

loudbang and the oil soup like this.
  20. No. No. No, real louvers are the way to go.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  21. manyolcars

manyolcars

hotrods and customs are about cleaning up a car and taking junk OFF,not adding more junk

-Brent- likes this.
  22. Make the damn thing yours! If you like them , go for it. All of this " all together now " stuff gets old.;).

Ben

Hdonlybob likes this.
  23. DAHEMIKOTA

DAHEMIKOTA
    from Tenn

How about those ports that they used on the 50's Buick ?