Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Stadco "traffic light" style 3rd brake light...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flynn's_57, Jun 21, 2022.

1. Flynn's_57

Flynn's_57
    from Nor*Cal

So, a few posts have been made about these things already, seems like incomplete sets are everywhere on eBay but the complete sets are SUPER pricey. So my 2 questions are:

-will a "chopper" brake-light switch work if the original pull switch is gone for the yellow light?

-who's got instructions and can we post 'em up here somewhere please?

Last edited: Jun 21, 2022
  2. More cheesy than cool. I wouldn't call it a hot rod part. But hey, if you like it, go for it.

badshifter likes this.
  3. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

E22BD655-4AF7-4584-B2D5-918E47864623.jpeg This is a cool , period correct third brake light . There are others as well. Imho A196D484-EDA0-4931-860D-82155FADEDC5.jpeg

4. Flynn's_57

Flynn's_57
    from Nor*Cal

If anyone wants to actually HELP and not just tell me how WRONG I am,
    that'd be a really nice SURPRISE.

chiro, Texas Webb, scotty t and 7 others like this.

5. SS327

SS327

While I don’t think it is so much a hot rod part, I am kind of curious about them too. And since it is era correct and maybe more of a Kustom part and fits the board rules I say help the man.

Flynn's_57 likes this.
  6. I submit exhibit A:[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...and stand by my opinion.:)

7. Flynn's_57

Flynn's_57
    from Nor*Cal

Okay, yea man, thanks, that is the light-

It's (supposed to be) green while on, (hot,)
    Yellow when off the gas, (maybe the "chopper" switch?)
    and RED when you brake. (off the factory brake-pressure switch)

There's a pressure activated switch included in the kit that looks like it could be substituted with a "Chopper" brake switch I think for the yellow light, that's the knowledge I'm after... Pretty sure I could get the brake light working and the "go" light working, it's that middle one I'm befuddled over...

They were sold in '51...
    and you know kids will love it, and we need more kids into the hobby I think...

8. Maybe a manifold vacuum switch that opens and closes at a specific vacuum level.

9. Budget36

Budget36

Where would you mount this light at?

Atwater Mike likes this.
  10. I would use a micro switch on the throttle linkage and one on the brake pedal/linkage that has normaly open and normaly closed circuits. Place your first switch On the brake pedal so that it is depressed when the pedal is up/at rest, run 12v ignition on hot to the common terminal, connect the NC terminal to the red light. Mount you throttle switch in the same manner, depressed when throttle closed. Run a wire from the NO terminal of the brake switch to the common terminal On the throttle switch (this will power the second switch when your foot is off the brake), have the yellow light wired to the NO terminal and the green light wired to the NC. This way the red light will illuminate when you step on the brake, the green when on the accelerator, and the yellow when you are not pressing on either. Hope this helps. This is the style switch I would use. 20220621_112106.jpg

mrspeedyt, RICH B, Flynn's_57 and 3 others like this.
  11. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

On the package tray next to the doggie whose eyes blink left & right with the turn signals ..

12. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A turbo 400 throttle switch under the gas pedal would work. Let off the throttle and the yellow light comes on, hit it and the green comes on. I would just wire the switch so it is toggling the ground wires. You would have to rig up a way for the red light to turn off the yellow one when you hit the brakes.

13. silent rick

silent rick

what happens when you're doing a power brake burn out in front of the school?

14. tomcat11

tomcat11

No help here but, the green light probably violates the vehicle code.

Flynn's_57 and Atwater Mike like this.
  15. 5window

5window

It's too small for a third brake light. You want a light that screams "Idiot! I am not moving!". If I have to wait until I see that before braking-it is too late.

clem and Flynn's_57 like this.
  16. little red 50

little red 50

You'll see flashing lights from another car?

62rebel, Damon777, Flynn's_57 and 3 others like this.
  17. I think they look very COOL ~ Hanging on the garage wall.

18. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I think it looks rank...I wouldn't hang that thing on a Nash.

X38, little red 50 and 302GMC like this.
  19. gene-koning

gene-koning

My wife would probably feel better riding with me if it was mounted on the dash....

blowby likes this.
  20. 5window

5window

Yeah, but she'd probably want you to wire it so only "stop" worked! :)

21. gene-koning

gene-koning

:D We have been married for 46 years, the "stop" light would definitely have to function, but I suspect she would like the other two to work as well.

The last couple of years, she wants me to pull up close to side streets when we are at a stop sign so she can see if there are any cars coming, before we can pull away from the sign (her sense of distance perception is really messed up with her one lazy eye), but I accommodate her. She feels better if she can tell me everything is OK on her side (I look to make sure, she has missed a few things over the years). I guess its a small price to pay for her companionship.

Randall, 5window, Flynn's_57 and 2 others like this.
  22. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Don’t they all. :p

23. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Well that metal one looks a lot better than those with the yellow housing.

24. Flynn's_57

Flynn's_57
    from Nor*Cal

Green lights are for... Sheriffs? Forest service?
    I've seen 'em but don't remember...

And anyone who wants to give me a ride in their time machine to find a better/cooler/brighter 3rd brake light for cheaper than a $100 bill, hey, I'll bring the beer.

'Til then, this "aberration" (which has been posted at least twice on this forum without the bitching & ball-busting I'm receiving now,) is probably gonna get run,

And you know what?
    The kids will love it, 'cause "you all" let them get so damned out-of-touch they even love 4-doors now,
    FUCKING MOM CARS .... are .... cool to .... kids??
    Whose kids?
    ALL OF 'EM

What happened to "bring a kid to a car show"? Did you all just show up in your 4-doors?

Please, keep being mean & judging me, it's really HELPFUL for this walking-corpse of a HOBBY

Yeah, old cars are a rich mans fucking dead & DIE-ING HOBBY, or didn't you already know?

Pre-'65?
    Pssssh, a normal 20 year old kid hasn't ridden in anything older than THE 90's
    Do you feel more old or out-of-touch now?

Last edited: Jun 23, 2022
  25. Opinions!! Every one has one or more. See, even me!
    Just use what you want, sir, and IGNORE the nellies. I do.

Ben

26. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

three mercury switches should do what you want, if it has enough HP to weight transfer. Power to the yellow from ignition (or whatever you want) and use one to cut volts the yellow on acceleration another to cut it under brakes last one to go green. (maybe , could be done with electronics but not on here :) )

27. 5window

5window

First of all, "bitching and ball-busting" is what we do and we are good at it. Given that your light is cute, dates from "traditional" times and are novel enough to attract those high school girls, I still don't get how lights the size of your thumbnail are going to attract those teenage drivers away from their cell phones and keep them from running into you. It would be hard enough if you had a full size traffic light mounted in your rear window..

Last edited: Jun 26, 2022
    Chili Phil and 41rodderz like this.
  28. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

You have what you like , so use it, I say. It’s not going to hurt. :) But if your purpose is safety , then spending a little more then “ under a $100 bill” maybe a wise investment compared to your total $$ spent on your hot rod.;)

29. 62rebel

62rebel

Do I like the thing? Yep. Would I put it on a "trad" rod? Probably not. Whatever. Next week I might have a different opinion.
    Seeing people that drive modern cars and can't keep their eyes on the road, can't hold a brake pedal down at a stoplight, and have no concept of "right of way" scares the living shit out of me already.

little red 50 likes this.
  30. Budget36

Budget36

To be clear, I just was wondering where you ( @Flynn's_57 ) had planned on mounting it. I/e on the bumper standing upright, rear window etc. just trying to visualize it.
    I could see it on like a work truck, on the bed side, etc. , would think if it was laid on its side it would look off.
    Traffic lights are vertical. If laid on its side I wouldn’t think it would look proper.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2022