Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Stacks, Scoops and Helmets -- oh my -- what's period correct

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Lucky_Scott, Jan 18, 2016.

1. Lucky_Scott

Lucky_Scott

I am building a traditional hot rod (late forties/early fifties) and learning as I go. You all can be pretty unforgiving on the smallest of details -- which I am learning to appreciate. I want to run stacks on my three Strombergs -- it feels correct but I thought I would ask the community. "What would HAMB do?" I am seeing a lot of scoops and helmets but not a lot of Stack styled air filters on flatheads builds

2. Whatever gets you clean air.

Lucky_Scott likes this.
  3. roundvalley

roundvalley

4. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

I think you would be good with a choice of any of the three in the late forties/early fifties. Staying away from modern looking reincarnations of the older styles such as machined aluminum versus cast.

Lucky_Scott likes this.

5. W.W.H.D? I don't know if I've ever seen a "stack" style air cleaner. Be creative and be the first and build your own. Tim

Lucky_Scott likes this.
  6. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I run 2 Original Smithy Bologna cut stacks on my 33. No filter.... but they have a mesh inside.
    [​IMG]

7. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

All the above!!!!! really what ever floats your boat, anyone you mentioned would look fine.

Lucky_Scott likes this.
  8. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I have a set of helmets and a set of scoops for my Flatty and trade of every once in a while.

Lucky_Scott likes this.
  9. Lucky_Scott

Lucky_Scott

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1453611044.615622.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1453611062.996738.jpg

Well I was reading "Old School Hot Rods Scrapbook" by Don Montgomery -- and I found the answer (attached) -- stacks not only were used but the most popular by far (mid to late 40). Learning as I go. Thanks everyone for their guidance.