Register now to get rid of these ads!

St. Louis 1928 Model A build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jackalope, Jan 31, 2012.

1. jackalope

jackalope

I hope this is okay to post being a new member and all. I don't make progress like you all. I am busy as hell throughout the week with the darn day job.
    Anyway, here goes.........

The first 2 pics show the vehcile as I purchased it. It had a minor chop and someone had patched in a van style roof with a sun roof into that. Hack job but it would later be removed.

The pics after that were the subsequent chop I performed. i removed another 2" and wanted to retain the height of the rear window opening so I sectioned it out and it turned out the way I hoped.

Attached Files:

2. jackalope

jackalope

The next few pics are of the Pete and Jakes frame getting a modification. I wanted to retain the PnJ suspension so that required a little chop right at the base of where the B pillar is. I lengthened the frame in the front 5" and a total Z of 4". Being 5'7" allowed me to lose some cab height. About the only upside to being a midget!:eek:

The frame is on it's side so I could weld the gusset fish plates on to strengthen the frame. They are on all sides.

After the frame chop, the pictures are of the channeled body going back on.

Attached Files:

3. 117harv

117harv

WHAT, too new to post? We dig project/builds, newbie or not, and another A thread is always welcome, well in my book it is:)

Good call on the back window, keep the pics coming.

4. jackalope

jackalope

The next few pics are of the floor "board" sub assembly. I used 1/2" x 2" sturctural c channel. Because the floor boards are heavy gauge and welded throughout, no beads were put in. It will be covered eventually as well.

Attached Files:

samuelscreech likes this.

5. dellyjonut

dellyjonut
    from St. louis

Welcome to the hamb! I live in the Stl area as well. Currently working on a chopped 1950 chevy sedan. Your chop looks great. Not too much, and not too little. Looks like a solid car.

6. What he said.

7. jackalope

jackalope

Here are a few other pics. More recent. I cut the old section out of the roof. I also show a picture where I cut out the wood in the b pillar and boxed it in and welded. A comparison shot.

Attached Files:

8. jackalope

jackalope

I apologize for the poor resolution with pictures as the quality is sheeety. I am really bad about even taking pictures actually so any documentation with a pic is rare in my book.

I am going to sheet everything inside with fresh skin and remove shoddy work from previous owner. I will try to post pics.

The motor in there is only for mock up. I have a SBC donor waiting in the back of the shop.

9. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Good progress keep them coming

10. jackalope

jackalope

This thread will be long and drawn out, but here are some pics from today.

The first couple pics are of the crossmember being replaced with all new sheetmetal. I bent up the pieces and made it so the inside piece is actually slanted and not vertical like it originally was. I think it gives a much better look inside.

The pics after these were of the process I went through in order to make the rails from front to back. I used heavy 0.120" wall square tubing. I put it through my modified ring roller to get the desired arch. It came out perfect.

I tried to take a few different angles to give you an idea of contour and lines mathing up.

Attached Files:

11. choptruck

choptruck

Welcome to the HAMB. I also live in St.Peters, and I'm pretty sure i have seen this car. A while back I was going west on I think Feise Rd. and your sedan was sitting in front of one of those garage doors but I havent seen it since. Really good looking profile, maybe i could check it out sometime.

12. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I enjoy the build-threads more than any other, I think. A lot of "other" kinds of threads lately, it seems. You helped fulfill the request in my latest signature. Your hot rod looks good. Nice job. Thanks for posting, jackalope.

13. Sweet project! Welcome from the southside...just chopped my 31 coupe tonight..

14. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

15. jackalope

jackalope

The car is currently at my father in laws shop building off of Feise Road. I did not buy it too locally as I found it at a Storage Locker in Spanish lake. Someone had started it and left it for a few years.

Anyway, I try to work on it on the weekends typically but sometimes other crap gets in the way. A little here and a little there.....

16. tjmercury

tjmercury

Never too new to post something that cool! Good luck with it!

17. jackalope

jackalope

Didn't get to spend as much time working ON the car as I spent a few hours buying materials from the local steel company.

I fininshed out the perimeter of the roof. It came out perfect. I got just the right amount of arch front to back and side to side.

I also cut out the rotted sheetmetal above the passenger door and tacked it in place.

Attached Files:

18. loco_gringo

loco_gringo

19. Chuck-A-Burger Ryan

Chuck-A-Burger Ryan

Welcome, looking forward to seeing this around the area!

20. Keep the updates comin man!

21. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Very cool! Nice work, gives me good info and ideas that I'll use on mine. Keep it up!

22. jackalope

jackalope

Here is 2hrs progress from today. Couldn't play too long as my son was with me.

I finshed welding the section above the passenger door (part of the roof). I had to hammer out some of the warping from heat distortion(Pics not in my phone-sorry)

I also made a quick door panel. I used heavy gauge steel for the lower panel. I rolled the edges right and left sides so that it sat flush. When all is finished it will be covered anyway but it needed some skin IMO.

After I posted the pics below I noticed that the ones I thought I took were not included? Anyway, the ones you see below are of the new sheet on top of the doors both sides as well as the inside of the visor where the rear view mirror will go. You can kinda see the angle in which it is slanted back.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  23. jackalope

jackalope

I had a few hours to work on the Tudor last Saturday. Got some more skin inside and smoothed out the roof patch as well. Because I am not running any windows, I want a smooth, finished look. So, I bent up some sheet and made for a continuous flow from outside to inside. It is only tacked but ya get the idea!;) I also bent up some heavier gauge kick panels. They will be rivetted to a flange that is hidden.

Attached Files:

24. dead pirate

dead pirate
    from indiana

sick looking ride man, i am looking for a project and the tudor model a is one that is really catching my eye. looking good man def gonna follow this one.

25. Mopar Jack

Mopar Jack

Sweet...hope to see you on the other side of the river...

26. jackalope

jackalope

Thanks fellas! I assure you, WHEN I get this beast running, it will be all over the road. The donor power plant will be going into place when I get back from vacation around the 24th or so. Nothing too fancy. TBI SBC. I have some more sheet skin to graft in places but short of that it will be a matter of hooking up parts, etc. MUCH easier said than done, but I'll figure it out as I go. I may have got in over my head for a first build but ya gotta start somewhere. Besides, the A is about as easy as they come when it comes to chops, etc. Plain jane straight forward.

All is good and it makes for therapy for me when away from the "day" job!;)

I have always wanted to build one of these but never thought I'd get the chance to snag one. Luck of the draw I guess, but when I ran across this one, it had all of the "basics" I wanted---even the P&J Frame and suspension!:D Can't ask for more than that...

27. jackalope

jackalope

It has been quite some time since I posted anythingo n any forum, let alone this one. Day job and finishing my basement put the stall on the '28.

I am finally back at this and going at it full bore as much as I can. I finally got the powerplant out of the donor (TBI 350) and mounted in place. Enameled the frame and installed some other odds and ends. I have a lengthly "wish list" of parts and have been pecking away at it so I can continue without interruption and keep pace. I should make some decent progress over the holiday with the amount of sheetmetal I have coming. Anyway, here is a small snipit of what I F I N A L L Y got around to doing.:rolleyes:

Attached Files:

28. jackalope

jackalope

I am going to remove the wheelwell mess that has been boogered in place from previous owner and tub them a hair and then finish the openings with some tube. All the old rusted out panels will be replaced soon and then it just a matter of putting it all together.

29. jkski

jkski

welcome to the hamb,hope to see the sedan moving around st.peters .well as soon as the weather breaks in spring.

30. jackalope

jackalope

Minor update that took all weekend;)

I was able to get up to the shop Friday evening and pull the intake off and clean it up and ispect. Got it all bolted back up and sucked down a few beers in the process as I prepared for the weekend ahead.

Fast forward to Saturday morning and 8" of snow, I got to cutting the old fenderwells out and making some new skin. If you go back and look at some previous pics in this thread, you can see that I merely plasma cut the openings in the fenderwells so the body would sit over the frame/axles/etc.

This time I cut out the "old" (original owner booger work) and tubbed them a smidge and then added some split tube for a cleaner look. Took quite a bit of time being that I roasted the tip of my middle finger welding. Should have worn gloves:eek:

Attached Files: