Register now to get rid of these ads!

SSI cams what do you think

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gerry Moe, Jul 13, 2007.

1. Gerry Moe

Gerry Moe

Currently building a 33 chevy 5 window with a 392 hemi, I was in the process of selecting a cam and came across the SSI from PAW, and talking around I have heard some negative comments about them. I was wondering if anyone here is running one of them and what there thoughts of them are.

2. Most of the "generic" cams, like SSI, etc., are generally made by Melling. The quality used to be fairly consistent but as of late seems to be not so good. Cam failures have been an issue lately, for a variety of reasons....your chances of getting tech help, or any sort of warranty, with a generic, are limited at best. For an engine like the 392, which are kind of expensive to build anyway, I'd pay the extra $100 & get a higher quality & peace of mind.

Truthfully, considering it IS a Hemi, I'd be more inclined to look at a custom grind anyway, from someone who is experienced with the older Hemi chamber burn characteristics....I think you would be happier in the long run. :) Just my $.02.

I have used them in builds for friends (at their request) in the past, along with other generics....they work "well enough". As with any flat tappet cam nowadays, break-in is critical.......

3. bwiencek

bwiencek

Like Homespun said - they're probably some federal mogul product or another mass produced cam with an older "OK" ramp profile (read not the wildest or latest designs, but a proven reliable grind).

I've run them and they're fine for a generic buildup - I just prefer some of the newer ramp designs in the newer off-the-shelf cams or do a custom, but most of my engines I'm doing now are race engines where every HP counts... I'm still going to be using an OTS cam in my street engine though..

Break-in is critical for ALL flat tappet cams from any manufacturer - Read the info on the major's sites (comp,crane, etc.) and they've got a lot to say about break-in oil types... Read and follow their instructions and the cam will be fine.

4. I have used them and was quite happy with their cam at the time.

5. JAWS

JAWS

Don't waste your time or money on them. Yes they work ok, but that's it, just ok. The LDA is to wide and they don't have good ramp angles, very basic cams. Even though they look on paper like the rest, they aren't. And as of late, I have heard the same as homespun said.
    I guess if your happy with half ass stuff...................but I doubt it.

6. "Nothing effects the performance of an engine more than cam selection."
    -Smokey Yunick