Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods spun aluminum fuel tank as battery box

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by toxic waste, Apr 2, 2012.

1. toxic waste

toxic waste
    from Iowa

I have seen them for sale. Question is who sales them?
    Thank you

2. skull

skull

pics help.

if we see what you need, it'll make easier to get info.

Later :cool:

3. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

i don't think anyone sells them , there was a thread on here awhile back where some guys had moddified small moon style talks that were mounted up front to hold their battery , pretty clever too had even run the cables through braided fuel line !

4. 32v

32v
    from v.i.

heres mine

Attached Files:

• 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      517.2 KB
      Views:

5. toxic waste

toxic waste
    from Iowa

Thanks for the help. I must have had one hell of a dream. I'm almost sure I had seen one somewhere. This was with in the last year. I will keep looking ,if I don't find it, then I will have to build one. I need to hide the battery and I like the looks of the spun fuel tank. But its just won't get me very many miles on the street as a fuel tank.

6. nali

nali

7. cswitch11

cswitch11
    BANNED
    from new york

my friend told me that autopartswarehouse sells some fuel tank for a cheap price. try in there. i didn't try it yet but my friend does.

8. toxic waste

toxic waste
    from Iowa

Hi, 32v
    When you made your tank battery box . What size is your tank and brand ? What battery did you use? I will be making one for the old International.

Thank you
    James
    Toxic Waste

9. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

The fumes from an unsealed type battery would cause unprotected aluminum to corrode pretty quickly.

10. Not to mention the entire thing being electrically conductive.

Bob

11. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

what happens when someone else tops off the tank with a hot battery in it?
    glue the filler cap on or bolt it.

Just something to think about.

Godspeed
    MrC.

12. Deuces

Deuces

No comment!.....

13. In what universe does that square box look like a Spun Aluminum cylindrical fuel tank????:eek:

14. You find people are randomly filling up your fuel tanks?? Must be a nice problem to have.:rolleyes:

15. Smitty's32

Smitty's32

Borrowed this picture from another thread. This is my buddy's '32 with the battery in the Moon tank. I believe he used an Optima. Cables are in the stainless lines. Pretty sure he cut the tank himself, didn't buy it made for a battery.

[​IMG]

16. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

....... but it matches my aluminum foil hat.:D

17. toxic waste

toxic waste
    from Iowa

WOW! did I open a can of worms. Ok, first of all I don't have room in the back of the truck for a battery box and I like the looks of a spun fuel tank up front. So I think this would work just fine. Some people worry to much. The filler cap won't come off and it will be vented very well. No one will fuel my truck except me, I will be using e85 . My build is a 60's altered street legal 1936 International truck , 455 with Dankas super blower and Hilborn shotgun injection. Model A front axle and tub frame. I think the tank up front will look good .
    Thank you for all the help. Smitty's 32 Thanks for the picture looks good.

18. Yes.... the bag always has to match the shoes.. point taken.

Bob

19. toxic waste

toxic waste
    from Iowa

swade41

The link you posted to my picture, is of my 1948 Internation. I built it back in the 80's and drag raced it at Eddyville Iowa. 1/8 mile track, ran in the low 6's over 130 m.p.h.. I sold it to a friend and they have sold it to someone in Ca .

20. IF you mounted your battery/tank out in front of the car wouldnt it have the opisite effect of mounting the battery in the trunk? and wouldnt be highly unsafe in the event of a collision?

21. I hate to think that folks are cutting up "Real" moon tanks - Old ones are rare and new ones are $$$$$

22. toxic waste

toxic waste
    from Iowa

No one said I was using a Moon tank.
    I would rather have a battery up front in a crach,then 2 1/2 gal. of e85 fuel . Everyones worried about cutting up a Moon tank, Hell ! we're just going to smash them in a crash. L.O.L

Wish me luck

23. I wondered how you got the pictures to look old.... and also where it was going ?