Register now to get rid of these ads!

Sprint car chassis for the street.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by aztecgold, Aug 9, 2011.

1. aztecgold

aztecgold

I just bought this 38-39 American Bantam pickup. It has a rectangle stock frame thats a little cobbled, a bent 9 inch and a mystery front suspension that looks like a speed shop catalog piece. As I pulled into the driveway today I had a thought of putting a sprint car chassis underneath instead of using the chassis it has now. It already has a short wheelbase, but with a little longer front end a V-8 could be put in rather easily.

Has anybody done this? What have your experiences been in doing something like this? As the law is concerned, it seems as if there really isn't a whole lot of difference from a sprint type chassis or a set of rails.

Obviously the appropriate lights, wipers, windshield...

[​IMG]

2. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Hmmm. Looks like a pretty cool truck, but needs stretched out a bit. Wouldn't take anything to move the rear wheels back where they need to be.

3. I just googled the truck and was quite amazed at all the info and even the parts availability. Quite a score.

4. Rear wheels and axle is where it was intended to be.

5. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Oh, oops

6. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

push the rear wheels back a bit centering them in the bed and center the front wheels and it will make a cool ride

7. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

Sprint cars have a flywheel housing, a short in and out box, and a short driveshaft. Some don't even have the in and out box on the engine because it is in the rear axle. I don't think an actual sprint car chassis is long enough for a transmission and adequate driveshaft length.

The stuff you would probably need to cut off of a sprint car chassis to make it fit under the truck would pretty much ruin the chassis.

8. aztecgold

aztecgold

Yeah, the rear wheels would stay in the exact place as you see them, but the front would be stretched. Fenders removed, and no hood. Body would sit lower over the frame.

9. A rectangular tube frame would be much better for the street.

10. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

Are you sure a Sprint Car chassis would be wide enough? I think all of the mods that would have to be made, you would be ahead to build a new chassis.

11. Brian C

Brian C

I agree. Definitely a different kind of beast.

Attached Files:

• 47.jpg
      47.jpg
      File size:
      87.8 KB
      Views:
    • abra.jpg
      abra.jpg
      File size:
      61.6 KB
      Views:
  12. Degenerate

Degenerate
    from Indiana

All my sprint cars had 84 to 86" wb and were 30" centers on the frame rails.

13. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

It would take a fair amount of modifying to use a actual sprint car frame. You might consider building a 60s/70s upright supermodified chassis. They were often built on a "glorified" Tbucket type frame with a rollcage etc.

Attached Files:

14. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

If you wanted it nice and low, you could do a offset chassis of the same type.

Attached Files:

15. DaddyO's..Deuce

DaddyO's..Deuce
    from Missery

You might consider a silver crown chassis, they are like a sprint car but longer. I always thought about making a T modified using one, they are already set up for cowl steering that's always a plus.

16. aztecgold

aztecgold

Good suggestions guys!

I'll check into those different chassis.

17. oj

oj

Man-o-man that truck could be badassed! Need a purpose-built frame and get the front tires ahead of that radiator ala a modified, use model 'a' or '32 ford front fenders, running boards to tye in the rear fenders (got to keep them).
    Great truck!

18. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

All i can think of when i look at that p/u is the model a owned by "poverty flats"

19. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Love the truck. Trying to make it easy by using a Sprinter chassis will make it much harder. It's a simple ladder frame, by some rectangular tubing and make one. As you must have noticed the actual firewall is quite froward of the hood/cab line. The interior is so tight it's almost imposable to move the firewall back to allow a larger engine and still have room for your feet. The sedan and roadster are much better at being able to move the driver back. So it's move the front forward or stick with a 750cc motor like stock. Maybe a GSXR would push it around. You could make a weird looking 3 window coupe by adding a trunk from some old coupe. Put it on a T frame and add a Dodge Hemi. Like I did 50 years ago. Or put in a Ford Model B like Latten. I would buy that truck for more than it's worth to relive my youth If you can be made to sell. PM me.

Attached Files:

20. LabRat

LabRat

Sell it to RichFox .... Seriously .

21. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

BTT to see what Gold has to say

22. rebuild what you have...

Attached Files:

23. aztecgold

aztecgold

Fox, your truck from years past is about as cool as they get.

I'd be willing to sell it to someone who, like you, has built one before. The Mrs. is after me for buying it, since there are about 3 other projects waiting in the wings. I'll send you my email address.

The sprint car idea was just that, and idea. Probably not nearly as good of a plan as a set of rails or to just work from whats there now.

24. j-dogg

j-dogg

Maybe a T bucket chassis?

25. I moved the rear end back a little more and opened up the wheel openings.
    This has a better balance than extending the front end.

Attached Files:

26. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

From my previous experience with a Bantam pickup, there is just no room to give up to install a larger engine. And the stock engine is very small. While I agree moving the wheels back looks better, it is no help with the bell housing/legs interference. And everyone else around here hates it with the wheels moved. With a Hayabusa or similar power train installed in the bed. And chain driven to a live axle. It wouldn't be very traditional. But it would be fun and still 72 inch wheel base. Thanks for the picture.

27. I said nothing about the engine, I was just modifing the body......
    A 153 won't fit? Where's the old engine from your Vega?

28. stainlesssteelrat

stainlesssteelrat
    from ms

hows about a out of the box thought.

put a wankle in it. or two crank to crank, ya have the room.. and their tiny but POWERFUL..

29. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

The truck is now safly sitting at my house. I am researching a title for it while mulling the best direction to go with this thing. It's not an easy car to start with. A live rear axle and Hyabusa in the bed would be pretty peppy. Rich went 366 with his "Busa in Jacks 'liner. Or one mounter in front like a Ledgens car. I have some twin cam FIAT engines and traans here as well a a 2.8 Ford V6 And several V8 engines. All opinions, good ideas and just plane too much beer stupid rambling wiill be considere

Attached Files:

30. stainlesssteelrat

stainlesssteelrat
    from ms

ooooo.. or two harley twins crank to crank mated to a dearborn 3 speed