Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Spring spreaders

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jones St., Aug 28, 2021.

1. Jones St.

Jones St.

I have a set of soft aftermarket coil springs that have settled too much oevr the years. After putting in a 383 w/the wider, slightly lower pan its is too close to the pavement. I wish to raise an inch or so now. And later tear it apart to put a taller set of coils. Do these pictured part work well? s-l500.jpg

VANDENPLAS and wicarnut like this.
  2. manyolcars

manyolcars

they pop out when you hit a bump. I used to see them on the street

olscrounger likes this.
  3. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They work, but not well. You're basically shortening the "working" part of the spring when you use them. Each one you put in pretty much renders useless the segment of the spring it is screwed between. Your best bet is the taller springs you mentioned.

olscrounger likes this.
  4. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Mr Gasket makes H shaped rubber blocks for this.

[​IMG]
    Or these
    [​IMG]

Jones St. likes this.

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I can't add anything to what Ebbspeed already said. And as Manyoldcars said, they are well known to pop out and end up in the street. Back when every high school kid that had a 55 Chevy thought it was a gasser they bought those things by the box full to jack up the front ends and lost them quite often along with breaking a few springs.

6. gene-koning

gene-koning

Just replace the wore out coil springs and move on. band aid fixes never last long.

7. Jones St.

Jones St.

My OP states the situation. The springs are not worn out. Rusty gave me ideas that help until the change over.

8. I used them in my 69 Lincoln for a bit until I replaced the front springs .
    I think I used 4 per side in the front to level the car out .

I didn’t notice any difference in driving before or after, they didn’t pop out either.

Once I changed the springs the following driving season it did drive incredibly better.

cheap solution to a problem, if they work great if they don’t, Meh…. Your out 15-or 20 bucks.

9. To add with the 4 I installed I might have got a 1/2 inch to 3/4” if your looking for an inch or more these might not work, my guess is the guys who posted this was a “cheap gasser look “ thing , guys might have jammed a ton of these into there springs causing issues. Like any thing cheap snd temporary… it’s cheap and temporary!!!

10. Budget36

Budget36
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had them to raise the front of a OT car because the G60’s would rub now and then. Mine clipped to the outside of two coils then had a bolt that went through the middle hold an inside clamp. Had to raise the car from the crossmember and kinda hammer them in and tap them around to locate them.
    Solved my issue for just a few bucks and a bit of time. Wasn’t till a few years later I saw the “screw in” ones.

11. Why not fix it properly now? It's a pretty simple job to replace the dead coil springs with new ones......not really much more time than fussing with those rubber inserts........and they won't bottom out or bind the coils.

12. Jones St.

Jones St.

Why is so hard to understand my question? Do I have to go into great detail that a shop & tools to do this is not in the back yard waiting for me to 'do it right the 1st time'. It is redundant to push what I already PLAN on doing. And again read the posts: The present coils are not 'dead' nor junk, the new motor sits further down than the stock SBC did.

13. Mmm, is that fresh attitude I can smell?

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  14. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Put the screw in ones in and carry spares.........................

Jones St. likes this.
  15. gene-koning

gene-koning

Quote 1, line 1: "I have a set of soft aftermarket coil springs that have settled too much over the years."
    The definition of wore out coil springs is, they have settled too much.

Quote 2, line 1."The springs are not worn out."
    If the springs have "settled too much", how are they not worn out?

Quote 3 last line "The present coils are not "dead" nor junk, the new motor sits farther down then the stock motor did."
    Then just fix the motor mounts and raise the motor back up where it belongs. Leave the "settled too much" coil springs alone.
    Maybe you can shove a few washers between the rubber in the motor mounts and the lower brackets? You know, instead of fixing them right too.

16. Jones St.

Jones St.

They were fine until this engine w/its stroker crank oil pan hanging down further than a standard sbc oil pan escape you dodge? I put 1000's of miles w/the other motor without pan issues. I needed input from folk who has used these spreaders. Not the redundant obvious. What was missed in my OP? It was clearly stated. BAM!

17. gene-koning

gene-koning

I've installed, and removed, and fixed the mess those spring spaces have caused more times then you would ever understand. I did front suspension work at a busy auto shop back in the very early 70s.

When your spacers break, and drop the oil pan on the street to smash it, don't forget who told you to fix it right.

olscrounger likes this.
  18. Jones St.

Jones St.

Your wasting time, dodge. None of those forecasts shall come to pass. She needs to move to the shop, not drive for years on the battered highways of 'merica. Now, where is that button.........

19. So you ask for advise on using the spring helpers.

you get advise, good and bad.

Then go and puss on the people that tell you not to use them or be Leary on using them ?

then state your going to do it anyways?

so why ask the question to begin with ? BC6A125E-0800-4DF7-A7AF-54903EF9E2CD.gif

X38 and egads like this.
  20. Jones St.

Jones St.

One or two git it. And to them is a thank-you. Another comment that did nothing^.