Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical spring shackles and stance '37 ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 0nedon, Apr 28, 2018.

1. 0nedon

0nedon

Hey Guys, I'm finishing the brake job on my '37 4 dr. slant back ford. It has 2 1/4 shackles on the rear and 1 3/4 on the front, for the springs. It looks like I need to replace the bushings and was wondering if I could change the lengths of the schakles to get a better stance. The car is going to stay mostly original, but I think I would do something simple to try and give it a better look. Will probely run 600x16 tires with old ford wire wheels. Thanks for the sugesstions.

2. 36 Penny Coupe

36 Penny Coupe
    from VA

Look into Posies Rod Shop Lowering Reverse Eye springs front and rear. You can remove the top two springs and it should lower the car a noticeable amount. Helped my 36 Ford 5 window

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

3. alchemy

alchemy

Longer shackles will do the job, but it's not recommended. It will allow more sway. Not good in corners.

Easiest way to lower without a dropped axle is to get reversed eye springs, and flatten them a bit too.

4. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

you should retain a 45degree angle on the shackles for control and to reduce slop. Certainly on the front end.

You'd probably be okay with some lowering shackles and a reverse eye in the rear. But really in my opinion the only way to drop the front a few inches, is with a drop axle. That and a reverse eye spring will put it down a bunch and make it drivable. Just my opinion.

Nothing uncool about a stock height 37 slantback. Easy to change oil without jacking up the car and you can run some off road if you like. Tire change would give it rake if you like. 5.50s and some 7.00s

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018

5. 0nedon

0nedon

Thanks Guys, that make sense, I think I'll get the tires on and back down and see how I like it. I just thought if the schakles were safe to change now would have been the time to do it. Thanks for the advice and saveing me a headache.