Register now to get rid of these ads!

Spring Mounting

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 52pickup, Jun 26, 2005.

1. 52pickup

52pickup
    from Tucson, Az

Im doing all my planning for a modified project I'm getting ready to start up and have a couple questions about some suspension stuff.

The plan for this project is to take all the stuff off my ol 52 chevy pickup project that im not going to use again(pretty much everything on the chassis) and use them to build me a modified. So, im planning to use the 52 front axle, and build some hairpins that will bolt on the axle where the leaf spring pads are, and run the axle out infront of the frame.

Now comes the shady shit.

I really want to run a transverse spring back behind the radiator, but it seems to me that the torsional loads would be too much for the pins to take. Am i right? Any one tried this? Have i been around to many fumes for even considering this?

If this is a really shitty idea(which I think will be the verdict) do I have any other options, or do i need to go find me a ford axle and bones?

My idea for the pins is to truss them for extra strength, and put a plate on the inside to mount the spring to. I'll try to attach a quick paint drawing.

Attached Files:

2. striper

striper

Search suicide front axle. Theres a bit of info around. Also try spring behind axle. Sorry I haven't got specific links for you.

I don't know about the specific parts you are using but I am making a similar setup using Ford axle and split wishbone.

You could also search 1/4 elliptics. Since you have an axle with spring pads already on it, what about quarter elliptic springs.

Pete

3. 52pickup

52pickup
    from Tucson, Az

I did a search on suicide front ends, but everything i saw was talking about using wishbones. I know it can be done with bones. I'll try searching spring behind axle, didnt think of that. I'm doing 1/4s on the back, didn't really consider them for the front, guess its an option if someone tells me the hairpin mounted spring is the worst idea ever.

thanks for the reply.

4. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

the hair pins just are not strong enough. you could try to make a heavy plate to bolt to the spring pad then mount the spring to thatas long as its not more then 5" back. even 5 may be pushing it.

5. 52pickup

52pickup
    from Tucson, Az

i just noticed jimmy shines truck has pins with the spring mounted to them.

looks kinda like a forged piece welded between the two parts of the pin... i never even noticed that truck had pins, always just thought it had bones. what is your guys' opinion on this?

[​IMG]