Register now to get rid of these ads!

Spraying One Shot...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SwitchBlade327, Oct 12, 2003.

1. SwitchBlade327

SwitchBlade327

How do i nee dto thin one shot to make it spray alright through an airbrush. I picked on up today and I wanna play but the only paint i have is One-Shot, do you just reduce it %10 like it says on the can or do i need to thin it more? I know i gotta do this shit in a well ventilated area and wear a respirator and all that jazz too, I'm prepared just need to know how much to reduce.

2. BensonStripes!

BensonStripes!

I was shown to reduce 1 shot to the consistancy of milk for airbrushing. That seems to work for me.

Just a side note--because I'm not sure if it was dicussed on this board or not. Prior to September 1st, thirteen of the original colors (reds,yellows, etc) contained lead, which aided in the flow and coverage of 1 Shot. The lead has been removed from these colors (but I was told more pigment was added to compensate.) Definitely wear a respirator, as the solvents are pretty nasty.

3. D Picasso

D Picasso

want my advice?
    don't do it. if you just bought the airbrush and want to play with and get accustomed to it, use a waterbased acrylic like Dr. Martin's or Badger instead, or even india ink cut 1 to 3 with water. use an eyedropper to fill the color cup on the gun. wash out the gun with Simple Green afterward.

then when you get proficient, try One-Shot or laquer, but give any of the airbrush acrylics a try 'till then. the point is, why surround yourself with solvent mist until you really have to?

4. Foiled again is right- besides it would take forever to dry.

5. Foiled raises a good point.I've sprayed India ink straight out of the bottle,great for practicing on paper.When you are ready to spray 1-Shot,use 1-Shot Low temperature reducer.It will speed drying time and improve the gloss without creating other problems.You'll have to experiment to find the exact ratio,most just go by feel.

6. D Picasso

D Picasso

righty-O. you get a feel for it. what I'll do with solvent based pigments is put a small amount of the thinner into the cup, partially unscrew the air cap, add a bit of paint, drop by drop, then hit the trigger. the air going backward through the cup mixes the paint. sometimes you can tell the paint's consistency by the size of the bubbles formed in the cup.

7. grtpmkn

grtpmkn
    majestic wiener
    from Kansas

I just painted my whole car with one shot, a friend lent me his paint gun, which ive never used before, and presto..

Ill have to post a pic..

8. donovandagger

donovandagger

whole car? man that mustve been pricey

9. Skate Fink

Skate Fink
    Member Emeritus

[ QUOTE ]
    whole car? man that mustve been pricey

[/ QUOTE ]

He wanted a real "Lead Sled!" [​IMG]

10. Missing Link

Missing Link

Don't do it. One shot through an air brush wrecks havoc. There are a bunch of water based enamels and acrylics that will work much better.

11. Barnett always ran One Shot thru an airbrush and after talking to him, I gave it a try too. This is a piece done that way I just completed this week. Some of the colors do "thin" a little more than others (yellow, emarald green). But a little mineral spirits and a little paint will go a long way. Nailhead is right, a milky consistency is it...have fun! Just make sure you clean everything THOROUGHLY before you walk away. It makes for some really satisfying imagery that you just cant achieve with a brush alone....

Attached Files:

12. delaware george

delaware george
    from camden, de

i think the one shot sprays alot smoother than those acrylics

Attached Files:

13. DrJ

DrJ

It's a high quality enamel.
    Why would it be any different, good, or bad, or indifferent, than spraying any other enamel?
    Just do it, but practice on some"cheap junk" first.

14. If you work wet on wet,you can get a real nice gloss with 1-Shot.Any Acrylics I've seen will need to be cleared to get a gloss.

15. BensonStripes!

BensonStripes!

hamilton,
    You do some killer work!