Register now to get rid of these ads!

Spray bombing a car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Brass_knuckle13, Jun 12, 2004.

1. Brass_knuckle13

Brass_knuckle13

hey all, lookin to spray bomb my car. 2 questions;1 does anyone know of a really good spray can paint to go ahead and use? i have used plastikote on the interior, and am going to be doing the outside in flat black with red scallops, or green zombie flames. 2. a chap of mine said that by soaking the cans in warm water will do wonders to the lay down of the paint when coming out of the cap. how true is this? thanks. oh and i am former FTW I dig my own grave. figured this out. thanks guys.etep

2. swazzie

swazzie

What do you mean fromer FTW?

3. slammed

slammed

The better brand's will look and last longer,hence more $$.Shop around.Prep is everything.Take your time.Yes,warm/hot water (not boiling) will help flow paint.Protect your lung's.Keep the faith.

4. old beet

old beet

Only thing bad about bomb canning one, is bomb canning two................OLDBEET

Attached Files:

5. InjectorTim

InjectorTim

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    I believe its psychobilly jive, the title of a Tiger Army Song "Fuck The World", and yes soak your cans in warm water, but not hot cause they will explode.

6. booboo

booboo
    1. oHIo

i have bommed a car or two also. yes hot tap water in a bucket is the ticket.i had found that a body panel at a time is best. 'cause man that trigger finger can get a hell of a cramp after a hour or so.and then how would you open your beer? any way all joking aside love to pics of the final job either way you go ,flames or scallops. [​IMG]

7. BigDdy31

BigDdy31

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He means that his screen name on the HAMB used to be 'FTW I Dig My Own Grave'. I've seen his posts before.

And just out of curiousity, from the guys that do it, why not whip out the gun and do the whole thing at once? Why cans?

Big Daddy Eric

8. old beet

old beet

No garage, no compressor, no spray gun, no worries......OLDBEET

9. I've bombed more cars then I can think of. I've always liked how rustolum paint works... for a spraycan, when you do it right it comes out pretty damn smooth and even. I'd ditch the flat paint idea... just my opinion, but it just makes it look like the car is primered. Unless of course you'll be going over the whole car with steel wool and smoothing it out. Go for the Rustolum Satin... you'll be a lot happier and the coat will be smoother, with a nicer sheen. Warming them up helps a lot... leave 'em in the warm water for a while, and they flow out a lot smoother. Focus on just one section at a time, idealy getting one fender or door complete shot and wet at the same time so when it dries it flows better. other then that, just take your time...

10. BigDdy31

BigDdy31

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Like I say, since I've never tried this I'm interested in the process. By the time you buy enough cans and supplies to do a whole car, isn't it nearly what it would take to pay someone to just shoot it after you did all the prep?

11. Me and a frien painted a '64 Galaxie with 3 cans of primer and 5 cans of paint. Around 40 bucks total with taping supplies and some sand paper. Doesn't work out that bad if you're on a budget!

12. BigDdy31

BigDdy31

[ QUOTE ]
    Me and a frien painted a '64 Galaxie with 3 cans of primer and 5 cans of paint. Around 40 bucks total with taping supplies and some sand paper. Doesn't work out that bad if you're on a budget!

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, yeah, 8 cans total is pretty cheap. I would have figured it would take a lot more paint for some reason.

13. Tuff Tin

Tuff Tin

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    Years ago I used a "fly sprayer" the type with the pump on it and a glass bowl. Man's gotta do whatta man's gotta dew! [​IMG]

14. 62fairlane

62fairlane
    from Dayton, TN

I bombed my car in the parking lot of the dorms last fall. got some strang looks while I was doing it. I used the el cheapo wally mart crap. cost under $10 to do the car but it is starting to fade and turn greyish. I was thinking that laying some gloss down and then hitting it with some #600 would dull it nicely and give it a nive even finish. mine looks kinda funky since I used the cheap paint but at least the car is one solid color now.

Nick

15. Brass_knuckle13

Brass_knuckle13

thanks for the help fellas. yeah, budget is what i am working on. i will definately get some pics up when it is complete.

16. kustumizer

kustumizer
    from Alton,NH

watching the mad fabricators dvd, i got some of the best advice from Cole Foster when he was talking about when you do your work even if your not getting paid well and stuff to try to do your best, because when people are around looking at your car and at your work yuo may not be there to tell them why the car may look like crap or something. I got some of the best advice from him when i watched that dvd. But you do whatever you want, because its your car not mine! Nate

17. I had read once that Larry Watson used to spray pearl coats with a bug sprayer. The only problem was he had to have someone keep pumping it to keep the pressure. This is something you might want to consider, as generally paint in a can is cheaper per unit volume than spray bombs.

18. marq

marq

Gotta do mine too 35 p/u so i got to do the bed and cab and grill.I just bought a brand new compressor and gun kit from ebay in England here worked out at about $185 for the whole lot inc delivery paints gonna be bout $180 to and i'm gonna get a couple of real cheap gazebos and some cheap dust sheets from the hardware store.Gonna cover up the gazebos with the plastic dust sheets and truck inside and hey presto a spray booth the whole lot with paint and tape and stuff will come to about $450 and i get to keep the compressor and gun.............Marq

19. [ QUOTE ]
    Years ago I used a "fly sprayer" the type with the pump on it and a glass bowl. Man's gotta do whatta man's gotta dew!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats ingenuity at its finest....nice thinking [​IMG]

20. burndup

burndup
    from Norco, CA

If I keep my shitty ol VW bus, it'll get low budget paint... But thats a LOT of surface area, and I own a decent compressor, so this is just sort of an aside...

Last car I rattle canned, I had a hell of a time doing the roof. How do you get the paint to come out when your holding the can sideways? Or do you just have to have extra FULL cans and relegate them to the sides when they go down to half??

21. Muttley

Muttley

[ QUOTE ]
    ...man that trigger finger can get a hell of a cramp after a hour or so.

[/ QUOTE ]

Get one of those spray gun attachments that snap on to the top of the can, they work great, they are cheap and no cramps.

22. nekroman

nekroman

When I use those trigger things, I always take them off when I get down to about 1/3 of the can left, it seems like that's when it likes to glob out. I'm no rattle can expert by any means or anything though.