Register now to get rid of these ads!

Spped Mods to the Ford 2.3 4-Banger

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jdanielshea, May 24, 2011.

1. jdanielshea

jdanielshea
    from Denton, TX

Looks like I'm going to drop a Ford 2.3 engine and drive train from an early Ranger into my '63 Rambler American. Looking for links to manufacturers that make performance intakes and headers for this engine. Also links to articles on engine builds for this. Already looking into the mid-80s T-bird Turbo Coupe motor. Open to other suggestions and ideas for this power.
    Thanks for the help!

2. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

I helped a buddy design and build a home-brew
    mega-squirted 2.3 turbo motor a few years ago
    for his OT, street-driven '76 Pinto sedan. It ended
    up dynoing at a bit over 440 hp at 5500 rpm on 23
    lbs. boost. PM me if you want the recipe.

Mart3406
    ================================

3. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

When the turbo coupe came out, one of the magazines did an article about boosting power. The only thing they did was to cut the wastegate line and install a length of plastic tube. They drilled holes in the tube to bleed off boost to the wastegate, fooling the wastegate and building more boost to the engine. With just this mod, they got the T-bird to run 14.0's.

4. lorodz

lorodz

here is my 2.3 powerd roadster thing hauls ass with a 1 barrel rodchester its 87 2.3 from a mustang enjoy
    YouTube - round 2

5. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

Esslinger (sp?) does a lot with those. They are big in the south on dirt, all normally aspirated though.
    Richard Johnson, Steve's head shed are a couple of engine builders that come to mind.

6. jdanielshea

jdanielshea
    from Denton, TX

Thanks all, the link to the earlier thread was just what I was looking for. Much appreciated!

7. Levis Classic

Levis Classic

Anyone have dimensions on a 2.3 Ford engine?

8. Motornoggin1

Motornoggin1

The 2.3 turbo motors are hell-for-stout! I put one in a Ranger years ago. Electromotive TEC-II DFI, freshened stock bottom end, Earson cam, ported head, stock turbo with home made wastegate mod. Made 460hp on race gas with 25# of boost.

9. jdanielshea

jdanielshea
    from Denton, TX

Check out www.gearheadengines.com they have pictures of most of the engines they offer (by make and year). No demensions, but good clear picturs of both sides front and back and top and bottom shots. Very helpful.

10. Angliagasser

Angliagasser

I put one in a 66 Mustang I built for my daughter. It has 300 rwhp and get around 30 mpg. We call it GT140T. It will be coming out in Modified Mustangs and Fords Magazine this fall sometime.

Attached Files:

11. farna

farna

The turbo motor won't fit in the 63 American, not without major surgery anyway. The Ranger motor fits only if it has the intake that curves over the valve cover. The 2.3L stock Ranger motor with EFI has 96-98 hp. Doesn't sound like much over the 90 hp L-head that came in the Rambler (or 125 hp OHV six), but the original engine was rated using the old-fashion GROSS hp method. Subtract 28% from the power figure and you'll get the equivalent for the modern (1972 and later) NET hp rating. So the 90 hp (gross) L-head becomes a 65 hp (net) L-head. So you're gaining 30 some odd ponies, plus it's a high revving engine. With the better trans behind it you should have a nicer driving car. All I'd do is put a less restrictive air cleaner and exhaust on it. You might have to get one of those rear O2 sensor eliminators (sends a false "good" signal to the computer) if the Ranger had an O2 sensor behind the cat and you're not using the cat. So you should be around 100 hp anyway. Not much, but more than the thing originally had. Should drive about like the Ranger did.

I'd stick the Ranger axle under there too unless the Rambler has better gearing. Stock Rambler gear was 3.31:1 with the L-head, auto or manual trans, 3.78 with OD trans. OHV got a 2.86:1 stock with auto or manual, 3.31 with E-stick (an auto clutch). Convertibles and hardtops with OHV six got a 3.31 with auto and 3.78 with manual trans for a boost in performance. Should be a tag on the rear axle cover with the gear ratio on it. Divide the big number by the small (teeth on ring and pinion gears, respectively) to get the ratio.

12. I posted dimensions in one of the other 2.3 L threads.