Register now to get rid of these ads!

Sports Car Bodied Drag Cars.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by metalshapes, Jun 20, 2007.

1. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Hey Groucho, wanna sell that issue??? I want it for the Charger road test....:D

2. Here's a Victress drag car that's for sale, doubt it was a drag car in the day but it's another glass bodied special of the 50's that was made to go road racing.

http://www.cars-on-line.com/29268.html

Regarding the Cheetah, they were boarderline dangerous to race with the massive amounts of power and short wheelbase...it took balls to run it at the limit. I would guess it's much more enjoyable in a 1/4 mile blast that having to make a turn in it.

As for that Maser A6GCS...that was a crime against the automotive Gods. That car had better been put back to original condition...Yikes!

3. Sorry, no. It's one of my favorites. I remember as a kid because of that Jag. A PINK "import" funny car in the infancy of funny cars? Man, that one really stuck in my head. Years later i moved to SoCal and got deep into street racing. The owner of Burbank Service Center (famous speed shops around here) caught wind of my car's success and sponsored me. Turns out his dad, who started Service Center was the owner of that Jag. Goose bumps, small world, etc

4. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]
    Cruising alleys in South Omaha you can run across stuff like this.

5. DrJ

DrJ

I remember seeing that Pink Jag (or an exact twin of it?) in action at Lions about a week before that CC issue came out.
    That night it grenaded a rear tire coming off the line and it blew the entire body right off the car!

6. UK Comet

UK Comet

This one's in the latest 'Custom Car' magazine in the UK.

Attached Files:

7. 39delux

39delux

Wanna bet the owner says he is going to fix it up someday? Of course we all want to know where it is.

Tom

8. metalshapes

metalshapes

Vette...

Attached Files:

9. ProEnfo

ProEnfo
    from Motown

..from the HRR

CC

Attached Files:

10. Well THAT looks familiar!

11. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

I really dig those lil' Opels.....mini "vettes".....
    Sure would be a handful.......

12. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

You've probably seen these before, but I thought they were worth posting.:D

Attached Files:

13. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

I watched those little devils run down the strip at the HRR and was most impressed wuth the little MG. It flat out hauled ass! I had to laugh at the annoucer who kept referring to the 400" SBC that was powering the car. There was no way that thing had a SB in it. It had that distinct sound of a hers of angry bees. Sure enough a little V6 was under the hood. Regardless, it screwed and was one of my weekend favorites. Anyone got any further poop on this car?

14. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    saw these at the OLD GEEZER SHOW.I think corvair counts as a sports car,

39delux ''Wanna bet the owner says he's going to fix it up someday?Of course we all want to know where it is."

I have not seen the cheeta thats behind the fence since the OLD GEEZER SHOW.I missed getting a photo of it at the track.The owner had it back to race day appearance for the show.It had fresh paint, red with all it's original race lettering.It was sitting next to the opel.Someone post on the HAMB that it came off the trailor on the way back to town.I've not been in that alley since the show so I don't know what condition it's in now.I'll drive by with the camera and see if it's out there.Rob Lee knows the owner from the neighborhood.Maybe we can get the skinny on what happened.
    [​IMG]
    this is the cheeta behind the fence,I got this from the mid america motorplex site.

15. Himee

Himee
    from Wisconsin

I don't think that is a cheetah behind the fence. A cheetah looks more like this .

Attached Files:

16. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

Your right,that isn't a cheeta,it's an Astra J.

17. Larry T

Larry T

I can't tell you why, but I have it stuck in my head that the Snoopy Jag crashed and killed the driver? Anyone know if it's right or not?

18. jimdillon

jimdillon

Best running sport car bodied drag car I witnessed was Dave Kanners in Prontito. He was running this injected 57 Vette with a 427 Chevy with a push button clutchflite. We were running the same model with an injected 427 and a clutch turbo. First time we ran into him was at Milan in 69. We were standing at the fence and watched him pull two wheelstands and still turn a 10:60. He put us and a bunch of others on the trailer every time we ran him. Fierce competitor and a great running car-Jim

Attached Files:

19. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

The car behind the fence 'appears' to be a Kellison........

20. KING CHASSIS

KING CHASSIS

Bug eyed Sprite of Bill Biermans. St. Louis

Attached Files:

21. fiat topilino gasser in the st.paul pionneer press (minn )classifieds

22. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    the car behind the fence is an Astra J.The bodies were a kit for the corvette chassi.The photo behind the fence and the red car in post 76 are the same car.

23. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

we like topolinos
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24. Sheldon Konblett (of Service Center speed shops fame) owned/drove the car. I became friends with his son, Greg, who owned Burbank Service Center. Around the time we were friends (mid 80's) his dad drowned in a boating accident on the way to Catalina island. So, at least THAT driver didn't die in that car. I don't know anything else about other drivers/owners

25. My favorite sports car pic.......

[​IMG]

26. brandon

brandon

27. sir

sir

...this one we called "the screaming yellow zonker"....

28. chuckspeed

chuckspeed

that green and whitey car looks to be a Berkely, FWIW. I've been watching Ebay for the 'right' one for about 4 years - no avail. they're either completely trashed - or completely trashed. Not much bigger than a go cart - and cool as hell. Originally powered by a two-stroke; a late model M/C drivetrain would make one flat scream!