Register now to get rid of these ads!

Sports Car Bodied Drag Cars.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by metalshapes, Jun 20, 2007.

1. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

Someone mentioned Opels.
    One GT and one Kadet

Attached Files:

2. SimonSez

SimonSez

3. rooman

rooman

About 6 years ago I purchased a Crossley powered Devin at an auction here in Indy (I actually went to buy a Maserati Quattroporte but it was a little too rough for the money). At the time I was collecting too many project cars and a couple of years later I sold the Devin--still kicking myself.
    Sam had two Cty of Industry Specials. The first was a Kurtis 500 K which was basically a two seat version of Frank's Indy roadster chassis and the second was a bit more elaborate with a swoopy nose on the body.

Roo

4. metalshapes

metalshapes

Here is one of the best looking ones off them all...

The Bocar.

Built by Bob Carnes.

I know that the X1 ( first one built, so no "P" in the name), was Drag Raced in the Sports Car Class.

Very Cool Car...
    ChromeMoly Chassis, Early Q/C Rear ( VW Torsion Springs Front & Rear...), Glass Body, and the last time I saw it, it had a 4-71 Blown SBC.

I have no pics of that car in action, but here are some other Bocar pics...

Attached Files:

5. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Bocar....hmmmm, never seen that one....I like it!!!!

How 'bout the Bosley??? Not a kit, as it was built by Mr.Bosley in the early 50's.....very Ferrari-like, esp the nose....Hemi powered....beautiful car!
    Rodder's Journal #27....I'm sure you've seen it!:D
    Here's a link.... http://www.americansportscars.com/bosley.html

6. RodLand

RodLand

Yea! me too. I had dreams of owning one of those, as a kid.

7. Anderson

Anderson

Yummy...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  8. I have two of these aftermarket/"Kit" Vette bodies ....a 59 and a 61 [both rollers] on newer GM chassis'....
    Hope to live long enough to see one or both on the street.....:D

I hae always lusted for an Austin Heally 3000 body to build a hotrod out of,but they are so darned hi priced it will likely never come to pass......

Attached Files:

9. jimdillon

jimdillon

Came real close on a Kellison about a year ago- I played poker on the price and lost-wish I had stepped up a bit now-as for a Bocar here is one at the last Amelia Island show-it was one of the winners-one of the healthiest sounding cars at the show and there were a bunch of high dollar racecars there.-Jim

Attached Files:

10. DrJ

DrJ

I have several old magazine articles on the Bocar.
    Interesting car.
    Very expensive for the time.

11. rattlecanrods

rattlecanrods

Kellisons & Bosleys make me giddy!! Someday I will own one. I first saw a Bosley when I was a kid in an old hot rod mag. I think I bugged my Dad sick about it!!

12. oktr6r

oktr6r
    from Tulsa

How about a Fiat Spider? :D

13. HOLY SHIT! Dig the drag vette in the background!

14. metalshapes

metalshapes

Yeah... Looks familiar.:D

Post some better pics Groucho...

15. Where's Benno? Thought I'd heard him chime in by now... My V8MG mentor, ya' know.

[​IMG]
    Here's a pic I found; another HAMB'r turned me on to it.
    Just look for the "SMP" drag racing class... you'll find a ton of this fine stuff.

-bill

Attached Files:

16. superleggera

superleggera

1954 Maserati A6GCS -- In this photo it was running a small black chevy with 6-71 blower and Hillborn injectors and the front end was a fiberglass lift-off version. Later version of the car in '65 ran twin turbos with intercooler on the dragstrip. Too bad it is restored to original condition...

[​IMG]

17. GREAT thread! Anyone got a pic of Snoopy? Pink E-Type Jag Funny car w/red flake stripe down the middle

18. metalshapes

metalshapes

Yeah, that is really a shame.

DAMN, that thing was cool...

19. Sracecraft

Sracecraft

I work in a shop that restores vintage road racing cars. From sports cars to F1 and GTP cars. These kinds of unique sports cars are my boss's passion. Kellisons, Devins, Bocars, Cobras, AC Bristol, Victrious, are some of the stuff that is in different stages of restoration and or parts collecting. He has molds for Devin bodies and they keep a few around for sale. The sports cars have some interesting construction, some of them are downright primitive. I can just imagin what the men who raced these cars must have been like...brave at least!
    Lots of fun to work on these cars. I think they are starting to get to me

Craig

20. jimdillon

jimdillon

Someone mentioned a Fiat Spyder. There was a restuarant down on Woodward where you could eat in old cars parked in the restuarant. They had several large cars out of the thirties with the interior removed and put a table in that space with some of the doors removed. I ate there a couple of times just to see what it was like.

This guy owed my dad some money and gave him his Fiat Spyder. When it was delivered it was a mess. We parked it and this guy calls up interested in buying it. Turns out it was the owner of that restuarant-he wanted to make a salad bar out of it-Jim

21. Kinky6

Kinky6

Anyone have a picture of the Danny Killcup roadster? IIRC, it was a Chevy six powered AH 3000; Danny was drag racing this car up into his late '70's. He passed away around 8 or 9 years ago.

:cool:

22. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

I've had a few Ladawri's with V8's but I should have built this car. It was a Caribee, much like a Jamiaican and similar to a Kellison. It had gull wing doors though and they just didn't really cut it for this fat guy.

I've got shloads of great Ladawri, Kellison, and other sports car gasser pics but most of them were lifted from Gasser Madness. It's a great site.

Attached Files:

23. nexxussian

nexxussian

The Cheetah is back in limited production with Bill Thomas' blessing. Of course you could buy a nice house with a garage in many places for what they want for it. Bill's shop burned down after some 19 to 27 cars were built (reports vary and the records were in the shop, along with the tooling and molds).

Kind of a side note I suppose but Bill Thomas was known as The guy to have work on the old Rochester FI. My dad had him work over one after "roughing it in." Flowed just over 1000 CFM. Naturally after all the effort of the engine build and the injection too, the guy he built it to race never showed up again.

24. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

That Maserati is BAAAAADDDD!!!!
    Looking through old mags last night ('67-9), saw a few Kellison ads about their Scarab.....similar to a GT40. I don't have a scanner to load pics. Did anyone make drag cars outta those bodies???

I don't think you'll find a Bosley.....there is only one......

25. cr

cr
    from scottsdale

Unclescooby,

Has that Caribee body been widen? Is their chassis with mid year Corvette suspension? Looks like it could be my old road race car.

CR

26. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

I don't believe that Caribee had ever been widened but yes on the corvette chassis. I was going to stick that old 8 duece Lincoln 430 in it but I just couldn't really get my fat ass in and out of those little doors. I don't know the history but the guy that bought it from me apparently builds AC Cobra kit cars somewhere out near Oklahoma and said he was going to use this as a template and start making these too. That was two years ago so I don't know if it will happen or not.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Repl...53QQihZ006QQcategoryZ7251QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    if you want another one...here is a very similar one with a 289 for $3500

27. gasit

gasit
    from Dago

28. Himee

Himee
    from Wisconsin

I saw this cheetah at Road America during the fall vintage races.It was tearing up the track but I never seen a drag race one.

Attached Files:

29. gasit

gasit
    from Dago

30. gasit

gasit
    from Dago