Register now to get rid of these ads!

Sport coupe into roadster???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bonechip67, Apr 14, 2012.

1. bonechip67

bonechip67

Is it possible, and what would it take?? I would really like a roadster, but all i can find is a coupe with the top off and a sport coupe. Just wondering which one would look better and what would it take. Has anyone done this to a sport coupe, and what did it end up like.??

2. Sell the sport coupe body and buy a roadster body.

3. Koz

Koz

4. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I've seen some coupesters that were pretty well done, but they will always be a coupe with the top cut off. Not saying that is a bad thing, just the reality. The part that usually stands out is the edge around the top of the body as it ends up being flat on top as oppose to rounded, like a true roadster.

That being said, I am using a rpu body that is built out of a fordor sedan for my latest project and those differences are fine with me. It just depends on what you find acceptable.

Don

5. bonechip67

bonechip67

Just asking becsuse I found a sport coupe body for 2000, and a brand new Brookville body for 4500 with title. Just not sure if its worth the extra 2500, ya know?

6. BOP-Nut

BOP-Nut

Search "coupster" on here.

7. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Depending on the condition of the coupe you could end up with as much in it as the Brookville. I haven't seen many 80 year old bodies that don't need a few patch panels and that can be time consuming and costly. Then you would have the work of cutting off the top and making tops for the doors and body surround. With the Brookville you will be starting with brand new metal which is SO nice sometimes. The title is also worth a bit of money.

I know some will say "Real steel rather than Brookville" but I bet not too many people would turn down a free Brookville if they were given one.........me included. :D

Don

8. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Sell me the Sport Coupe!!!! Please!!!! Gary

9. It hasn't been too many years that sport coupes with no roof (or coupsters as they were called) were pretty popular around here.

There are some things to be done that really clean them up like removing the A pillars and installing roadtser windshield stancions and working with the door tops, to make them look more correct.

I have always thought that one could take a sport coupe and make it into a cabriolet type of a body. It would be work but you would get the best of both worlds, especially if you live where it rains. ;)

If I get it together I know where there is a sport coupe turned roadster by a fella in his ninties that can be had, it is behind a bunch of stuff in the back of a shed. Something that he did when he was a teen or a very young man. I am giving some serious thought to trying to get it. I am not a roadster type as a rule but maybe it is time to build a topless wonder.

10. bonechip67

bonechip67

Went and looked at Brookville today. Guy showed me the new parts, and an origanal ford roadster cowl. It was in pieces so it was hard to tell if it was all there. Still, no rust to deal with. Leaning in that direction but.....

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  11. Hotrodbuilderny

Hotrodbuilderny

My Father built a beautiful one, but took a long time to get it right. He is on here, I'll see if he can post pictures. I have one, but I can't seem to get it to load.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2012