Register now to get rid of these ads!

Sport coupe build (sort of)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Koz, Nov 6, 2011.

1. Koz

Koz

Damn, you know I can't type! I was wondering if you had any of those wooden cart wheels left for the ultimate period touch?

2. F&J

F&J

If you can pull off the 2x2 SBC manifold modification and have it look like a factory piece, can we please talk you into chevy valve covers :D

Olds covers would "take away" from a SBC 2x2 motor, and would also detract from the cool body style you have. JMO ..either that or slide an olds under those covers ;)

3. Koz

Koz

I've done the conversion on the intake a few times already. Basiclly in entails cutting the four barrel port out along with the division underneath, ( on the dual port only), and welding a plate of 3/4" aluminum into the void. Then I use two carb risers which I weld into the plate at the appropriate spot and bore through the plate. A little port work and a blending of the welds with some medium grade rolls set me up. I then use an air scaler to put the sand cast texture into the modifications and you can't tell it was whacked. If you do the porting right they run really nice with no flat spots or hot cylinders. My favorites are Holley 94's. They're just a little easier for me to work on than the Strombergs although they both work on these manifolds.

The only reason I wanted to use the Olds covers is to the best of my knowledge I don't think anyone ever made a 2x2 for the Chevy. Probably because good four barrels were so easy to get and flowed much more and cleaner. I just think the 2x2 would look better on this car. A real Olds is way out of my price range!

Thanks for the comments though and I do agreee with you!

4. F&J

F&J

That's my point, it would look so good on a early looking SBC. I think a hamb thread said maybe Nickson made one for SBC? I could be wrong.

5. Koz

Koz

6. Koz

Koz

I've decided to do a Doane Spencer style front end on the coupe. I mocked it up and the proportions are perfect. So I whacked up the frame, pinched the rails and narrowed the A crossmember after sliding it back 2 1/8" to get my radiator and fan at the right place.

So far......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had to remove the motor mounts to do this so I'm fabbing a pair of old Ansen style mounts the I made patterns off of YankeeDaves origionals. These are donut mounts so I actually like them better. Some more welding and I can get the front end under and get it on some rubber.

Doing this I doubt if I'll be able to use a mechanical fuel pump. Also I might use friction shocks. Any thoughts?

7. One of these might work...[​IMG]
    Stewart Race Pump. They're not cheap...

8. Koz

Koz

Exwestracer, I've seen these pumps around. I'm trying to use as few parts as possible that weren't around in about 1957 or so. With the two '94's on there I need very little fuel pressure or volume so I'd have to do some serious choking on that sucker cause they really put out. If I can't get the stock carter to fit I'll just have to use an electric and some cool block off plate. Good idea though, perfect if I was running a hood. Last time I bought one they definitly weren't cheap!

9. 29Jay

29Jay
    from Ft Worth

I'm loving it!

10. Koz

Koz

I'm having some trouble getting the 'bones to clear the bottom of the cowl with the heavy swept Z and the stiff channel so I decided to use a pair of '48 Merc dropped 'bones. Since they have the front spring hangers and are really bulky I decided to just swap the forgings on the front with my Speedway, '32 style hangers. This was actually pretty easy and they welded up nicely. I also put the '48 hangers into the Speedway tubes as I can use them on a '35 pickup I'm building for another fellow. Some pics...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And after being welded up...

[​IMG]

Now I need to fit the spring hangers into the stepped 'bones to hang my spring.

11. Koz

Koz

I have my 'bones set up and I'm putting the spring hangers through to bolt everything up. I'm toying with the thought of running a full bellypan, full of louvers of course. Anybody ever do this on the street? I'm sweating how much heat would be trapped under the car. Would look super cool though. I Know some roadsters back in the day ran them on the street. I would cut out around the oil pan and leave it stick down and stop the pan at the rear to let the heat out. I could wrap the pipes inside the pan to help. Just a musing.

12. Mopar Jack

Mopar Jack

13. HELLVIS

HELLVIS

it frickin sweet....nice job!

14. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Keep moving forward , Koz

15. Koz

Koz

I have my front end pretty much set up and ready for final welding and finish out. I sent some blanks to the machine shop to have the shaft turned and a tap fit hole put in the pitman arm blank. This will make my Mopar steering look a lot more like a Schroeder or something from the outside.

[​IMG]

These shots are of the car with the frontend in and blocked on ride height. I will open up the frame for additional spring clearance when the car gets blown apart for paint next week. Also I only have the motor mounts tacked with no braces in and they sagged a bit under the motor weight. Likewise I'll correct that when I pull them out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My radiator is still on back order for about two more weeks so I can't fit up the brackets or my cowl rods. I need to locate a pair of lever shocks, (working on it, if anybody has any for sale, PM me), and fit them up as well. Also I still need a decent Model A light bar. Ditto.

Still working on my Sandy Belond style headers. Pics soon.

16. Pat Pryor

Pat Pryor

wow looks great cant wait to see it done! u PA guys know how to pull off some cool sport coupes!

17. GARY T.

GARY T.
    from S.W. Pa

Lookin REAL good! (put chevy valve covers on it!)

18. Koz

Koz

Yeah I know! I get more comments on those Olds covers than anything else. I just have them setting on there but they do look really fine. Jurys out on this one. I just hate to put another set of Vette repops on this car, although a neat set of old Edelbrocks with the right patina could fit in nicely.

19. 32highboy54

32highboy54
    from southport

Nice build. Your doing a great job on it

20. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

Nice Man, very nice indeed!

Nick.

21. Koz

Koz

HAMB to the rescue again! Thanks to Dragracer on here I have a '34 headlight bar on the way. Still need some shocks.

Thanks for the encouragement from all of you here. It means a lot to me. I can't wait for that first run, probably the Violators in May. Life is always better through a mail slot windshield.

22. GARY T.

GARY T.
    from S.W. Pa

Or better yet--put an old OLDS motor in it:D
    I hope U know I'm just playing with you. You fellows out in the eastern part of the state do REALLY nice work
    PS tell Jerry I said Hi

23. Mr.Musico

Mr.Musico
    from SoCal

24. gilles d

gilles d
    from winnipeg

your build looks good. nice work

Attached Files:

25. Koz

Koz

The Olds would cost more than the rest of the car combined! I do agree with the valve cover thing because I'm in love with SBC's. When I was a kid they were the baddest thing on the street, bar none.

Also like to thank all the guys who reached out with the parts I was looking for. I now have both shocks and lightbar on the way.

HAMB Power, yeah man!

26. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

This is a pretty cool build. I'm a coupster-owner myself as well. Keep up the good work.

27. Koz

Koz

A little progress here. The pitman arm stuff is back from the machine shop and I have it rough fitted. I still have to finish out the pitman arm itself. Also my Houdaille shocks are in place and actually work pretty well.

Some pics......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. Koz

Koz

I forgot to mention, the car gets about a 10" high louvered lower hood panel which will allow only the round shock body and arm to show. The exposed mounts will not show.

29. Koz

Koz

Working on my front skirt panels which will tie to the belly pan. First a cardboard layout to get the viz.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I then laid canted pads into the frame to accept the light bar. These pads are bunged and tapped to lay right behind the skirt panel with a layer of body webbing in between to prevent scuffing and the stock rubber pads on the outside under the light bar. I started to cut and weld up the '34 light bar I'm using as a donor to accept my vintage BLC's.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More progress tonight and getting the lights "just right". A little bug eyed but not tooo much.

30. Koz

Koz

I have the light stands welded up but not metal finished...

[​IMG]

The side skirts are laid out and the patterns transfered to 18ga. I have the louvers laid out and Hardtop is going to punch them for me this week. I'll fold and wire roll the edges after the punch to clear the dies.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm just beginning to feel the crunch as spring isn't that far away!