Register now to get rid of these ads!

Spontaneous window explosion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lucky Burton, Aug 17, 2012.

1. Lucky Burton

Lucky Burton

My pal Don and I were sitting in my shop talking and suddenly his rear window exploded for no apparent reason.. This ever happen to anyone?

Attached Files:

2. burnout2614

burnout2614

3. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Are you guys dealing with the heat like we were until yesterday? I have seen that happen over here in the summer when it's hot. It's somewhat common as a matter of fact.

4. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No, but I once had the road below us spontaneously explode, thank fuck for armored vehicles!

Doc.

5. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Heat? What happens, the steel expands and closes down the window opening around the glass, then? Gary

6. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

I had a piece of tempered glass sitting in my garage, do that.... the pieces kept cracking and popping apart too after the initial shattering....

7. Must have fit too tight.
    Expansion and poW - blam! Piushhhh!
    Make sure you tilt your head and sing the bat man song

8. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

Rear window in the wifes Town Car did that in the dead of winter. Got in Slammed the door and boom!
    Discovered one of the trim clips was upside down, don't know if that was a factor or no. It lasted 12 years that way.

9. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Apparently you didn't see the kid with the BB gun.

10. Yeah, it happens quite alot in the real hot weather when the car is closed up. We lose a couple of rear windows a year on the car lot. It helps to keep a couple windows cracked open to vent some of the heat.

11. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Moved to haunted car thread.

12. 35desoto

35desoto

Yes this is a uncommon but not rare occurance. I've seen it happen in new cars over thr last 25 years. Here in NZ cars are now imported new all built and I have seen cars sit in a storage warehouse and shatter windscreens - the reasons are many
    A nick in the laminate from the factory, a quick changes in temperature combined with a manufacturing flaw, a stone chip thats not obvious to the naked eye are just some of the causes. I have had it happen once in an older car - o/t 68 Chrysler - didn't shatter as it was a laminated front screen but we came out one morning to find it had a cracked screen that just kept getting bigger/longer - hard to accept as there was no driving involved so you gotta put it down to the joys of motoring

13. yep. while at work i've seen a couple of back windows and sunroofs blow out on brand new cars.

14. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

I think it was too much vibration from the sander.

15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's fairly common in cars that really seal up tight on really hot days. We see a few of them do that when it hits 100+ around here every summer.

It's also easy to break them with with a lawnmower throwing rocks from some distance as I proved to myself on the back window of the Wife's ot van.

It looks like it popped more in the middle than at the edge so nicking the edge of the glass while taking it out or putting it in is probably out.

16. Deuces

Deuces

That's a Red Rider for ya... :eek:

17. Years ago I was a little kid (11 years old) playing in the yard and I heard a big BOOM! My dad's 1962 Dodge station wagon was parked in the garage with the rear end sticking out and the rear window exploded. It was very hot that day in Michigan.

18. I had the driver's door window spontaneously blow up on me in driver's ed class. We were on the free way so it may have been influenced by some unknown object, but, I didn't see or hear anything hit it. It just suddenly exploded while I was doing 70mph, minding my own damn business. It was pretty amazing really. Covered me in ghetto diamonds, and made the instructor freak out. I believe that it had an imperfection, and popped when flexed just right. Never had one drop when sitting still though.

19. Deuces

Deuces

.... And don't forget metiorites(sp)... :eek:

20. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

It happened to a LTD II I once owned.

21. Lucky Burton

Lucky Burton

Zachary that's exactly what is was doing afterwards

22. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Happened to my dad's 1978 Corvette. I didn't think they built them tight enough to make that much pressure inside! :eek:

23. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

I was shaving at the sink after a shower and one of the shower doors did that. And, no I didn't fart just before... I was thinking Exorcist or something. Kinda creepy feeling just after it shattered. :eek:

24. afaulk

afaulk

Happened to a one of those funny looking Pontiac Vans several years ago. The explosion was loud inside my office, about 30 ft away.

25. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

I think they break due to differential heat/expansion or because the hot expanding glass pushes too hard on an edge where it is mounted.

26. I've seen it happen to side glass on real hot days but never seen it happen to rear glass.

27. Bryan G

Bryan G
    from Delmarva

First car I knew as a kid, 73 Grand Marquis Brougham, Dad walked out one hot morning and the back window had shattered. Tempered is weird stuff. Was trying to remove a quarter glass from something way, way OT, too much pressure, self-destructed in my bare hands. Weird feeling, no physical harm.

28. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

On the same LTD II I posted about, a side glass broke, then a couple years later the back window went.

29. outlaw256

outlaw256

yep had it happen on a brand new rear glass on one of our old 55s.thought it was a defect glass but it was also over a 100 that day with all windows up.(i thought the wife had rolled down all the cars windows, wrong).replaced that glass and a few weeks later a rear glass in my dd 55 did the same thing.

30. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

My neighbor had a 55 De Soto wagon and the happened while we were down the street playing. It was weird and he was piiiissssssed. Later I told him I'd mow his lawn for a year if I could have the car. He was gonna have it junked.
    I got it, wish I still had it.