Register now to get rid of these ads!

spongy brake pedal has me stumped

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tulfabrication, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Still_Crazy

Still_Crazy
    from . .

I had the same struggle, spent at least 2 months trying everything. Then I realized the bleeder ( as you sa) was not the high point in the system so air was trapped. Once I realized what was happening I rigged up a workaround and had a solid pedal in no time.

Good luck, been down that dark road....

2. Larjk9

Larjk9

I received a phoenix reverse brake bleeder for Christmas. It's easy to use, and produces a great, firm pedal and takes about 5 minutes to do.

3. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Are the rear brakes out of adjustment? If they are way off it could cause a low pedal. Try adjusting them up manually. When I do a lot of work on a brake system and it is dry I bleed the brakes, let the car sit overnight and bleed them again. This is necessary to get every last air bubble out.

4. srs1

srs1

rusty is right, that's a good place to start. also, did you replace your hoses? they can get weak and spongey, even swell shut with age.

5. AL_JACK

AL_JACK

This is a little embarrasing to admit, but a while ago I was doing my brakes on a 90's chrysler product and put new calipers on it. I had the same problem of not being able to bleed them properly. After many attempts, the light finally shone ... I had the left and right calipers on the wrong wheels, putting the bleed screws in the wrong position. Because of the geometry of the caliper, it wasn't as obvious as you would think.

6. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

It shouldn't cause you to eject fluid at the MC but since you mentioned the new cam, did you check what vacuum you have now ?
    Just a thought .

7. ok everyone, i finally got to get back on it today and with the help of some friends i got it figured it out!

get this, so the calipers mount with the bleeder screws pointing down so air was getting trapped inside the caliper. so i flipped the calipers on to each different wheel to get the bleeders pointing down, hooked up the hoses and bled them out with the result of a good solid pedal!

so with that another came up. the hoses were interfering with the coil spring at full lock, and it was obvious that the calipers just werent meant to mount that way, so what i ended up doing was bleeding the brakes with the caliper clocked so that the bleeder was facing up, then re-mounted it and voila! nice solid pedal.

this is really weird to me since when i got the truck (as a partially done project) the calipers were mounted this way (bleeders pointing down) and somehow i got the brakes bled good enough to get a solid pedal last spring but whatever, i figured it out. thanks to all you guys who stepped in to help! The truck is one step closer to LSRU 2012!

Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
  8. ugotpk

ugotpk

MASTER C is leaking into the booster under vaccuum