Register now to get rid of these ads!

Split bones or Radius rods in the late 50's?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by brentthebarber, Mar 3, 2009.

1. brentthebarber

brentthebarber
    from San Diego

I'm building a 30 model A coupe on deuce rails and was just trying to figure out what front end parts were more commonly used in the late 50's early 60's. I'm running a '40 front end and I have '40 front brakes, but I wanted to know was it more common to see split bones or radius rods? or does it even matter?

2. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

There was no more common. What you could afford or chose to do was what you did!
    Yes, it doesn't matter. There were even lots of Ts and As and 32s and 33-34s built with the stock spring in front 35-48 front ends under them too.

3. brentthebarber

brentthebarber
    from San Diego

That's what I figured, just wasn't sure, Does either handle better? I have both so I'm just deciding what to use, leaning towards the bones though.

4. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I don't think it matters much. From my own experience looking through and researching it seems that a great deal of car that were built with a budget in mind used the Wishbone split or unsplit. The more high dollar cars used the hairpins but I think that for the time period that you are aiming for you have the choice of using either. I even thing there were cases of four bars popping up by then but cannot be sure. It all boils down to preference and my money is on a spilt wishbone because of aesthetics.