Register now to get rid of these ads!

Split 6 cyl manifold question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 47Plym, Jun 8, 2006.

1. I was talking to a friend recently, an older fellow who has worked with cars for quite a few years. Regarding splitting the manifold on my Plymouth flathead six, he said "you ought to split it 4 and 2, rather than 3 and 3, it will be more mellow". Since then, whenever I have mentioned that comment, no one has ever heard of such a thing. Has anyone here heard of that split, and if so, what are the pros and cons?? Thanks. Bob

(Looking forward to the drags here in ol Joplin, MO town in August)
    (After last year's Rt 66 cruise, I found 3 pics of the vert on the CARNUT website...taken at the drive in theater)

Link to pic of the ye olde 6 banger: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v96/BobT3/Petey Plymouth 1/08a4d088.jpg

2. brewsir

brewsir

thats what my dad always used to tell me too...they used to split them themselves on the farm! Supposed to have a very cool sound!

3. Bugman

Bugman

Because of the way the manifold is arranged, it's easier to split it 4-2. from what I've seen, it's most common on Ford inline overheads. I've never heard one though, so I don't know what it sounds like.

4. Kev Nemo

Kev Nemo

screw mellow.

5. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Ford 215-223 engines are the only ones I ever heard of that were split in this manner, mainly because the port arrangement made an even split nearly impossible. The exhaust port layout on a mopar flathead six is 1-2-2-1, so splitting it 3&3 should be a snap.

6. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

The exhaust on my 250 in the econoline is split 2 and 4. I dunno about it being more mellow, but it's probably a lot easier to do! Most likely because the 3 and 4 ports are siamese on the falcon 6's. No messing with a port divider. And although I don't have another to compare it to, it doesn't sound mellow to me!