Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Spirit of South Dakota LSR lakester/rear enigine roadster

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tman, Dec 31, 2010.

1. As it should be! :)

2. Weird, that picture was vertical before and now it is horizontal? What are you guys seeing? I changed it in Photobucket!?

3. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Trent

Is the gearbox now off the agenda?

4. cvstl

cvstl
    from StL MO
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

Pic is sideways

5. Looks good to me, and straight too. I like the steering wheel.

6. Just was a mess trying to work things from so far away, thanks for the offer.

7. Spending time on the nose, the Silver is just leftover paint to seal the plaster buck for fiberglass. It looks rough but will work for the splash we are doing. It is all lighting and the fresh plaster sucking up the paint too fast that makes it look worse.

[​IMG]

The nose is sitting on the rails, in reality it will be in front of the steel you seel supported by a modular sub structure. The front axle will be attached at teh front of the rectangular rails. As a side note, the street bums are right, silver really HAS a better buz than the other colors!

8. Hauntingly James Dean Spider in the background is the same silver, I hate omens, good, thing this thing will be YELLOW!

9. Anyone know fiberglass?!?!?!

10. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

yellow's good. don't go down like James Dean.

11. I am safe, don't think there are any Turnipseeds around here!:D

Time for more paint, using up old rattlecans to seal this thing off for the mold release. It has been black, brown,silver and now white is the next color up. Good way to clean out the paint case, some of these cans are 20+ years old!:eek:

12. I would like to announce the newest member of our team, a foreigner from Oregon ;), Scotty Gosson aka Jangleguy on the HAMB. Scotty as many of you know is an ace tuner and hot shoe. He will also take a stab at driving this thing!

Since the silver paint I have spent many evenings with more filler and paint tweaking the plug till I am sick of it! On the advice of Tom Burkland I am making the rest of the body out of steel and aluminum for several reasons. Fiberglass sucks!

13. jangleguy

jangleguy

Thanks for the snappy intro, T-bone! But "ace tuner and hot shoe" suggest expectations that I can't live up to. Let's just tell it like it is: I'll be washing parts and fetching beer from town in exchange for all the silver paint I can huff. Once I get a snoot full of paint, I'd LOVE to drive that thing!

Actually, I'm really honored to be working with you guys and this project sounds like a great fit for me on several levels. Grassroots approach, inline powered, fast enough to keep the grin on my mug... the Spirit of South Dakota has it all! Plus, I can't believe how much money you agreed to pay me...
    Scotty

14. That and the fact that you and I are the only guys that can fit in this little thing..................honestly we needed the beer fetcher and subsequent Designated Driver that the beer requires. It's amazing that you and Rocky still put up with my antics! At least yer good role models!

15. jangleguy

jangleguy

So THAT'S the driving gig. I get it now. You'll be hearing from my agent - something about "breach of contract'...

All seriousness aside folks, take the family to beautiful South Dakota for your next vacation. Stay at T-dude's place, eat his food, drink his beer, drive his cars! More fun than Disneyland and it's all free!

16. Small update, all the small parts are not glamourous. The kid is helping me. Safety is preached hard here, start em young!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Almost finsihed wheel for the lakester. Gotta fine tune some stuff, Jigsaw, hand belt sander and a router.

[​IMG]

17. Small steps, nothing photo worthy. I finally got the tubing for the rest of the frame. Lots of hurdles to jump through and then our main place was out of it when I got there today DOH!!!! Bad news is no tube bending this weekend, my pal Randy is at Bakersfield screwing off! Good news is I am single for the next few days and can get to his place and get some stuff bent!

Also got the fiberglass stuff ordered to lay up the nose cone. VERY excited to get itchy ;)

Also working on wheels, have the actual LSR tires, some just old rollers, to mock up ride height, huge step since these things are specialized. M&H front, Goodyear rears based on a lot of feedback from other racers. Word on the street is that the M&Hs don't "wander" at speed like the Goodyears. I am impressed with the quality of the M&H tires. At this moment we are running 22s in front and 28s in the rear. I will set the car up with enough adjustment for a variety of rear tires.

Still looking for a nice set of front wheels 4" wide 15" dia 5 on 5 1/2 old Ford BP.

18. phat rat

phat rat

Boy your helpers grown since I saw him

19. Turns 5 this winter Jack.

20. I am single for the week but have no camera, wife took it on her trip.

Todays work, got the wheel centers tapped out of a good set of steelies I had. Using the old ford BP centers from the 5"ers for the front wheels. Then, using the hoops for the wide five rears.

I NEED TO FIND 15x4 hoops however for my front wheels. Need them 12 5/8" ID. I have a couple calls out but no answer for the weekend of course. Why am I making my own? Time VS money and I can insure that I have the runout nailed and that I don't have to wait for wheels. That and I am Norwegian and stubborn/frugal. Have new and really nice used parts here so I might as well use them! EBERT ARE YOU LISTENING????? These are the wheels I got from you, kill TWO to make 4!!!!!

I am looking for 4" hoops because M&H says that is the correct size for my 22x 3.5" front tires.

Also spent a fair amount of time on Bangshift today and got to see Les Davenport run!

21. Keep on it TMan - I wish I was in your neck of the woods, would have fun hanging with you, cranking some stuff out and helping out. Keep on it and I look forward to seeing you on the salt once again!

If I can help from afar, let me know!

B&S

22. Thanks Dale, I blame my dad and now you guys!:D:eek:;)

23. I found 15x3" hoops, but they are 13 1/2" id.

Maybe try Wheelkid.

24. Left him a message today to call me during business hours!;)

Thanks man!

25. My fingers are sore scrubbing paint off with weak stripper!

26. Jimmy called me today. I learned a few things. the 13.5 is far more common than my 12 5/8. But he has some 4.5 hoops that I think I can use. Price was good as well.

27. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

was saving some VW wheels for just such a thought but I never got around to, not sure what they measure. I was also thinking you could put a wider wheel in the lathe and cut out some then weld it back together.
    Trent, there is a guy I know who says his friend has a "big" GMC six at his scrap yard here. PM me for his name and number if interested.