Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Spirit of South Dakota LSR lakester/rear enigine roadster

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tman, Dec 31, 2010.

1. Yes, and you guys are a huge inspiration. I figure at 41 years I better just do it and not end up 61 wondering "what if"

Thanks Kerry. Hows the digger?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. It's all blown apart, the chassis needs a couple of things and then it'll get painted. Started putting the heads back together this weekend. Still need to order pistons.

3. This look very interesting! I think I'll watch.

4. Tim, your Yellow brick and dragster projest has also inspired me to get off the bleachers! Maybe when we get done with inliners we can try a Y block! dad would kill me or at least write me outta the will!

As a minor update, been single all weekend. Got to bed early each night, worked on the house (chimney install). and in between just layed up tons of mud, sanded off,repeat x 10. And that is only the left side of the nose. Roth must have a million hours in his plaster bodies!>?

Anyway, nothing picture worthy. still refining and cleaning the shop in anticipation of the engine showing up in a couple weeks. Need to move my A out of the fab bay so I can set up the frame jig.

5. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

B'ville? 2012? Need any pit help. I've been trying to get there for three years.

6. Yes, we need to build our team. We will have a HOT ROD breakfast again soon, love to put a face to a name.

Also, a couple of us would like to come up and look at that youg guys stuff. Guys willing to buy.

7. We also added a team member tonight, my pal John know fiberglass and agreed to help us pull the molds off the plugs!

8. Pat Pryor

Pat Pryor

<!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
    We really need to get you a better camera! hahaha!

9. And a note on the name. As a kid, the Spirit of Saint Louis captivated me, especially the engine turned nose. The Jimmy Stewart movie hooked me at 10? 12? dunno? Recently I have become a student of engine tuiring and as I pulled Tom into this I thought the nae was fitting. Tom is at teh Easternmost end of the State and I am at the Western end. That and the fact I love this State more than a Texan loves Texas....................well, you get my point!

10. I deserve that remark! Hand me down sis in law camera, just trying to get it working. May just use my card in our good camera.

11. Hey I love the inlines too! As a matter of fact Bigredtodd and I discussed a 223 powered HAMB dragster for the next project. But we gotta finish this one first. ;) See ya on the salt!

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=531700

12. Thanks Tim!

13. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

Better get up here, he's dealing with a certain junk yard to buy all the stuff he has outside of town. I'll pm you my number, we'll talk.

14. I'll give you a call.

15. 6inarow

6inarow

Any inlines I need to buy off him??

16. Pat Pryor

Pat Pryor

man now i know how you feel. haha, lookin foward to this one

17. Yeah Pat, those are crappy shots. My monitor at home has lost RED tones so until today I caould not even see them for sure!! Time for a new monitor. Back to the other camera.

18. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

I didn't pop many hoods but most of the old trucks aren't complete and the engines are gone. i did pop the hood on one AD and find a 324 Olds, it came home with me.

19. Glad to hear you guys are jumping in, try and have a regular working day/night, and you'll be there with bells on.

Cheers,

Drewfus:)

20. Well so far the only folks close are myself and brother (sentinelT). Tom is 399 miles East. We do have other folks local that are helping that are not on the HAMB. Credit to them will be given as due. :)

21. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

XO/GL Class ? I am in the building stages for this class now, hopefully for this August...

chryslerfan55 and Tman like this.
  22. mad-cad

mad-cad

I'll be watching this one,subscribed:D

23. You are doing a drop tank right?

24. Doll Kustom

Doll Kustom

way cool! see ya out there! :)

Tman likes this.
  25. Thanks Doll, got your note check your PMs

Nothing to report, lots of shaping and sanding. Collecting parts.

I did get started on the scale model. We are doing a mini wind tunnel to see if my shape works worth a damn. You can see an example of this on the Project 550 site that Chevy asylum has been posting updates from. I actually was playing with a fan and some powder last night on the nose. I had to see what it would do and was happy to see clean air movement. Now I gotta blow out the whole shop ;)

26. Dyce

Dyce

Let me know if you guys need anything!! Looks like a neat project. Have you considered slanting the engine to keep a lower profile? Could modify the oil pan, or run a dry sump.

27. Had not thought of that angle idea. We will be modifying the stock pan. I got some great info from an experienced inline LSR guy. (will give credit when I know he is cool with that) We will be talking soon. Rulebooks should be here in March, I will have one for you and Tom to keep.

Tom showed up today with the engine, or at least mock up parts. So, I will be starting on layout shortly.

Tomorrow is our HAMB n Eggs so we will have plenty to discuss.

28. Dyce

Dyce

I picked up a 2010 book when I was out there last year. I have a few ideas for a cylinder head. Tom is going bring one down sometime. Hope the weather holds out for Tom, he dosn't have his winter weight in the back anymore lol