Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Spirit of South Dakota LSR lakester/rear enigine roadster

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tman, Dec 31, 2010.

1. [​IMG]

Oh shit its your grinder!!!

Old eyes...............

Tman likes this.
  2. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

T-Man, Did you get your axles yet? Hope your projects are coming along.I am not trying to hi-jack your thread, but I had to show you and your salt racing pals this new Lakester. It belongs to our friend named Brett. He built the chassis, and my Brother Jerry and him built the body this last week. They have some finishing to do, but they will make Speedweek. It will run Injected Alcohol to get started, then switch to a light load of Nitro. Next year it will be Blown. It will run in class 'A' and It will be pitted next to Jerry's T-Bird, stop by and visit if you find time. BTW it is running a BBC with a B&J 3 speed. I hope this was OK.

Attached Files:

Tman likes this.
  3. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Car is looking good Trent, better finish that ceiling to keep it toasty warm in there next winter, Marty, your buddies car looks fast just sittin there, Tim Jones

4. Marty, thanks for the tip, the axles arrived and were CHEAP!!!!!!!!!!!! That lakester reminds me of Arfons car from the 60s. Where do you guys usually set up your pits?

Tim, thanks. The wood furnace and 2 foot thick walls keep it at 80+ if needed.

5. <style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:Cambria; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:3 0 0 0 1 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin-top:0in; margin-right:0in; margin-bottom:10.0pt; margin-left:0in; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ascii-font-family:Cambria; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Cambria; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Cambria; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:.5in .5in .5in .5in; mso-header-margin:0in; mso-footer-margin:0in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style> Really enjoyed watching your trials in fiberglass. I’m allergic as hell to the stuff, so I’ll keep working in Aluminum.

I like your methodical approach, so don’t be like me and rush along; it’ll just cost you extra cash.

Nice work by the way, I’m enjoying your build.

6. Thanks Skip, your car is pretty killer tho! The glass nose turned out pretty good for a first try. I hope to attach it to an aluminum pan and be able to pull the whole thing off for transport, have not figured that part out yet. The rest of the car will be aluminum and steel. Looking for a tandem axle boat trailer to convert to a rig for this.

After we get back from Speedweek I gotta dive into some work on the house so I can make weeknight time on the car. I slow down on everything this time of year. I am just a couple days from having a roller, need to order rear axle tubes

7. <style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:Cambria; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:3 0 0 0 1 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin-top:0in; margin-right:0in; margin-bottom:10.0pt; margin-left:0in; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ascii-font-family:Cambria; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Cambria; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Cambria; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:.5in .5in .5in .5in; mso-header-margin:0in; mso-footer-margin:0in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style> <style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:Cambria; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:3 0 0 0 1 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin-top:0in; margin-right:0in; margin-bottom:10.0pt; margin-left:0in; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ascii-font-family:Cambria; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Cambria; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Cambria; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:.5in .5in .5in .5in; mso-header-margin:0in; mso-footer-margin:0in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style>
    Thanks for the compliment. I’d post up about the roadster here except I’m afraid I’d get hammered for running a non-traditional engine. :p

Outside of watering the money tree my last major hurdle is the fiberglass work. It is too bad we don’t live closer as I’d easily trade a water tank for the glass work.

And, I also have running 270 GMC in the shed.;)
    Skip

8. You have good taste Skip!

9. Making some progress now that a crazy summer is over.

Engine is back in to layout the rear of the frame.

[​IMG]

Making a large and small NACA ducts. One to pressurize the cockpit (as per the rules) and one for the engine intake.

[​IMG]

Also scored this cool small plane wheel/yoke. Fits the car and your hand perfectly. Room for my parachute switch and some other goodies yet to be decided.

[​IMG]

10. Neat!

Frame is looking good

11. kool Trent! keep on keep'in on............

12. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Good to see your back at it. Tim Jones

13. I got sidetracked and burnt out on the frame this summer. I have a few tough miters to do yet then the monotonous diagnals!

Yup Carl, still having fun!

Never really quit but was more in parts mode and engineering the rest of it. So much of this stuff is time spent planning. Especially when you are shoving 10 pounds of crap in a 5 pound bag!

Thanks guys!

14. Sweeeet! Should look and run great on the salt next summer(?)!

15. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Trent get ahold of me before you make your fiberglass molds of your air ducts I'm sure I have enough silicone here to make rubber molds of the originals , once you have a silicone mold you can knock out as many as you want in fiberglass or carbonfiber , if you don't want to ship the ducts down here I can send you the silicone and walk you through it, the type I use is a 50/50 mix pretty much idiot proof,, If i can use it anyone can:D I worked with Scotty Gossen's bro Wayne , he has seen my work, Tim Jones

16. Hoping so, but building the car is the easy part. Getting it there and the logistics is another issue!

Thanks Tim, I will stay in touch but I dont think there will be much for ducts, mostly it will be an airbox

17. OK, tonights work. Some glass layed on the intake scoop. I really wish I had been able to do this in aluminum!

[​IMG]

Next one, that Mark williams frame that has been hanging behind the car in all of these shots gave up its life. Too many of the tubes were not to NHRA spec and for ssure not up to the more stringent SCTA spec so saving the frame was out of the question. The shoulder hoop has become the rear of the car.

[​IMG]

18. NoSurf

NoSurf

19. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Damn nice work! We're proud of ya!

20. Thanks Chaz, what's up with your lakester? Still have it?

21. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Trent, you're making great progress!

Just an observation, because I'm not up on the rules in that class. Do you really need the drag of that duct for fresh air? We just have a small hole and a tube-it doesn't take much!

Either way, the build looks great!

22. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Yeah, I still have it and its ready to go. It is up for sale, but if it does not sell we're gonna try to make it to the salt next year. My health is much improved so its worth a try.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 22, 2012
  23. Buddy, the NACA (pre NASA name) were designed for low drag. They are a submerged duct meaning they are flush with the outer skin, nothing exposed to the airflow. They are innies not outies! Stainless used one on the Bockscar and Target 550 uses them, following by example! Thanks for the compliment.

Glad to hear that your health is better!Q

Last edited: Sep 22, 2012
  24. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

continuing to be a WOW thread...:)

25. Ole don

Ole don

Car 485 has a NACA duct for engine inlet. Over 200 MPH, there is one PSI at the rear of the scoop after the engine has used all it needs. The engine is a 485 sized 429 Ford, NA. These scoops WORK!
    Trent, it was good to finally meet you at Speedweek. Your work is top notch, keep it up. Your youth and enthusiasm keep us geezers going.

26. Thank you very much Don! It was great to spend a little time with you as well. Which car is 485?

27. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Gotcha!

Keep up the good work!

28. UH update Trent?????

29. Should have some update photos soon. Been working on the car some but mostly moving extra crap out of the shop into my new storage building. The shop just got so cluttered I could not work. Considering I sell off all my extra parts I sure have a lot of crap!

30. Yeah, what he said.