Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures Spinning Down For Thanksgiving...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Nov 26, 2014.

1. I think you got it wrong. Its we that thank you for keeping these as high standart resources.
    Have a good one.

2. REBEL43

REBEL43
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from TENNESSEE

3. REBEL43

REBEL43
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from TENNESSEE

Have a great Thanksgiving

4. catdad49

catdad49

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours Ryan. After many years (9) of almost daily visits to the JJ and the HAMB, I finally decided to help out by joining the Alliance. Kind of a "Thank You" to you and the others who provide a great place for me and the other hoodlums to hang out. Viva la HAMB!! Everyone, Have a Great Thanksgiving, Carp

5. catdad49

catdad49

While I'm thinking about it, in the spinning video, Hutty says "It's kinda like doing pottery!" Talented guy.

6. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Happy Thanksgiving to Ryan and Family.God bless you all.Thanks for a great site.May it be around for many more decades.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

7. hipster

hipster

Hellakewl.
    Thanks & happy Thanksgiving!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. mgbtc

mgbtc

Enjoy friends, family, and good food. Happy Thanksgiving to all!

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

To Ryan and the rest of the Hambers, have a happy thanksgiving.

Thanks for showing the video Of Hutty doing the turning, What a talent he has and what an interesting video.

10. verde742

verde742

Ryan,, thanks for all the efforts.... can't Be EZ.....

11. Jkustom

Jkustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.
    @Ryan - Thanks man.

12. 55willys

55willys

Thanks (for) Giving us a place to post. Cool video on spinning, makes me want to fire up the Shop Smith and see what I could do. Jim Ford

13. Rusty

Rusty

That dude rules, Happy Thanksgiving Ryan to you and your family

14. Good God, what talent! Great video!

15. jeta12

jeta12

Thank you!!.....Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family, and to all H.A.M.B. members!

16. Hey Ryan - All the best to you and your family. I hope this next year will be an easier one for you and yours. Oh, and I want to thank YOU for letting me hang out at this place you've created. Honest to God man, it has really changed my life.

BTW - the video is cool as hell.

17. classiccarlover

classiccarlover

Ryan, Hope you had a good turkey day and did a lil cruising too. Thanks for everything you do to this awesome website. I havent seen the video just yet but i will. thanks from classiccarlover

18. metlmunchr

metlmunchr

A fairly heavy wood lathe is more useful for spinning one-offs than a metal lathe. While people doing production spinning often use metal forms for durability, wood forms are cheap and easy to make and hold up fine for spinning small quantities of parts. Using a wood lathe you can make form shapes that would be near impossible to do in metal unless you had a cnc lathe. Once your form is done, the bed construction of a wood lathe makes it easier to fab up a rest for your spinning tools, attach it to the bed, and do the spinning on the same machine where you made your form.

19. @Ryan -

Thanks for sharing the metal spinning video ... It's a perfect example of why I like this place so much ... There's always a Blog or thread that brings back great memories of growing up in a "Hot Rod family"!

The Hutty video reminded me of the first time my father took me along to visit (fellow Nor Cal Early Iron car club member) Alex Blanca's Newark, CA home garage ... It was 1972 (i.e., during the "Resto-Rod" era of the hobby) and Alex was spinning reproduction '32 Ford cowl lights ... I was simply amazed! ... as you stated, "sort of magical".

NOTE: 40+ years later, and @alex blanca is still "performing his magic" at his Al's Antique Auto Parts and Metal Spinning Co. (in the Sierra Nevada foothill town of Newcastle, CA).

Last edited: Nov 28, 2014
  20. Happy Thanksgiving Ryan to you and your family. Thanks for your excellent work.
    Ralf

21. Met Phil a couple of years back, a hell of a talented guy. His products have to be seen to be believed..

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

22. Hope everyone had a great holiday- plenty to be Thankful for too.

Cool video- My dad used his ShopSmith to make headlamp rings for one of his Pierce Arrows. Said they were too expensive to buy so he made them.. They came out like jewelry. Old grouch could do damn near anything- Thanksgiving was tough this year without him.

23. rheima

rheima

I was a metal spinner for 7 years back in 1965-1973 and loved the work. The company moved to Nebraska and we wanted to say in Iowa so I went to work at Maytag in their R and D shop. Best move I ever made until Whirlpool took over.

Ray