Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Spinner Hubcaps Won't Spin

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Spinner54, Feb 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Do you know how much the original ones sell for?? Nice to have a original set but wouldn't be nice to see them turn into frisbees or grow legs and walk away.

2. Well, Spinner54, seems you have survived initiation! :eek: Welcome to the group and nice 54! You will have to plan to come play cars with us in St. Louis in October www.hotrodhundred.com

gonmad and lothiandon1940 like this.
  3. Rockabilly-O's for breakfast...

Dan Hay, Katuna, Pocket Nick and 4 others like this.
  4. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Could be that there is a mismatch between the two (the profile of the rim and the tabs of the wheel covers). If that's the case -- and you're dead set on these particular wheel covers -- new wheels may be in order.

5. Oh nostalgia

Attached Files:

mike bowling likes this.
  6. khead47

khead47

One of the best threads ever. You are now officially Family!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  7. belair

belair

On 55-57 Chevys the wheel had some small "bumps" that made the full size wheel covers fit tight and stay on. The hub caps will fit but not stay on newer wheels. I wonder if that could be your problem?

8. Also check to see if the wheel balance weights are preventing them from going on all the way.
    Have had that problem myself.

9. ZZLEGEND

ZZLEGEND

Spinner54. Got to say that you made my week. Glad you are here. At 19, you have a very decent car. And I remember when I wore pants like that. Now I just wear fruit of the looms. Easier to put on at my age. Those caps are cheap repops I hate to say. If you can find original, then that would be cool. But they get pricey. I like those stock dog dish or you could get the Bel Air full cap, like I have on mine. But you got a nice car. Now do you have a nice woman to ride with you? 54 chevy.JPG

blackout78666 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  10. Spinner54

Spinner54

image.jpeg Do you guys think a set like these would shine up? They're a barn find.

Chavezk21 likes this.
  11. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

If you still have the original wheels, there should be 4 small bumps evenly spaced along the edge of each wheel. As BelAir mentioned, these bumps are what held the stock full wheel covers on. However, wheel covers with "the serrated fingers" generally don't stay on very well. Perhaps the "fingers" that interfere with the bumps can be bent back out of the way?

12. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

Do they spin?

Sorry, I could help myself.:D

Yes, they should clean up.

13. If they are hard to seat push harder. But I do owe you some hubcaps as I recall. So maybe send them back and give me time to rustle you something up. Hubcaps shouldn't be too hard to find and I am sure I got something I can trade for some.

Hel I got a set of moon discs maybe we will pinstripe em for ya and you can run them, I know that they won't fly off I had them up to 128 in the traps, after driving 3 hours to get to the strip. ;)

lothiandon1940, e1956v and belair like this.
  14. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

That looks like an original 56 Olds wheel cover. Much better than the repros. It should be made of stainless steel, will clean up nicely and look really cool. Do you have a set of four?

falcongeorge likes this.
  15. Spinner54

Spinner54

Yeah I'm looking at a set of 4 online. They all look like that. Aren't they chrome on top of stainless?

16. e z i

e z i

no, just stainless. I don't believe original Oldsmobile starfire hubcaps will fit on your wheels though, they ( the chevy wheels) don't have enough offset, and the cap will hit the center of your wheels and not snap on the rims. I'd see if I could find on to try, before you buy...........

lurker mick likes this.
  17. belair

belair

No. Stainless will polish like chrome. Chrome is applied to steel, stainless steel is steel.

18. Spinner54

Spinner54

The ones I am looking at in the pic are returnable so I think I might just go ahead and get them and if they don't fit I can just return them. If they truly can shine up really nice like you guys say I might have a decent deal on my hands. They're going for $400. Still pretty pricy but the other '56 Olds spinners I see online are going for $650.

19. Never mind my last statement I didn't see the pic. That said 100 dollars a wheel for hubcaps still makes my butt hurt.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2016
    kiwijeff likes this.
  20. ZZLEGEND

ZZLEGEND

Those are one of the better spinners made. Good luck with them.

21. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

Put a Go-Go dancer in the middle of this and I could stare at it all weekend. I promise not to Yanko though.

Welcome Spinner54.

kiwijeff likes this.
  22. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Ask the seller to see if a magnet will stick to them. If it does, they're chrome plated steel. If not, they are stainless. If they are original Oldsmobile caps, they should be stainless. However, there were replacement caps made back then, (in the 1950's), that were cheaper chrome plated steel ones.

Do you have any other pics of them?

23. slowmotion

slowmotion

$400, you're getting into chrome wheel neighborhood. Just a thought.

24. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

I would take Porknbeaner up on his offer for some free caps and put the money towards something else on your car.
    Besides we don't want beaner to get butt hurt and stay that way,:rolleyes:

25. blackanblue

blackanblue

NEWS FLASH dog walker slashed by unleashed spinner with dust cap still attached,News at six.

Texas57 likes this.
  26. 55 Ford Gasser

55 Ford Gasser

I believe those caps may be re-pops. But done way back when. Look at how the center goes out and not in. E z i is right about off set and most originals would not work on some wheels. I had same problem with my 50 Ford but found some similar to these that stuck out the same way. Although mine were chrome and I had to stay on top of them or they would rust. My 2 cents.

Welcome Spinner54 and nice car.

27. Slopok

Slopok

If I were asking $400 dollars for those I would've at least cleaned them up first. As mentioned earlier that kinda money would buy some chrome reverse wheels.

lothiandon1940 and kiwijeff like this.
  28. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

I hope this is a joke

29. 3030

I'm sure our next president will fix this awful hubcap problem!

'51 Norm, guthriesmith and kiwijeff like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.