Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Spinner Hubcaps Won't Spin

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Spinner54, Feb 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dan O.

Dan O.

I can see how the OP would have no idea how a "spinner" hubcap works but what's the story with the apparently teenage person putting together the Speedway Motors site?

Is it just me or does anybody else sincerely doubt that those repro Lancer caps spin as advertised? The crossbars appear to be fastened to the cap at the outer ends, even if they aren't and do somehow spin would they not crash into the valve stem?

As an aside, the only authentic mod applicable to Lancer caps that I know of is the addition of "theft detterent" razor blades behind the crossbars.

2. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

Hi and Welcome!! Great to see young guys getting into this hobby!!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great 54..and a great start. Swap in a 350/350 and p--s off 1/2 of this crowd, make it a 350/700r and get a few back, make it a LS and a few more will like it, put in a 302 GMC 6 and a 5 speed and I will like you, and finally a blown 392 Chrysler and every one will love it......aw screw it..twice pipes and be done.

4. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

5. slack

slack

"As an aside, the only authentic mod applicable to Lancer caps that I know of is the addition of "theft detterent" razor blades behind the crossbars."[/QUOTE]
    Last time I used those, I got blood on my wheel and a dent kicked in my fender. You can't win with the dirtbags.

kiwijeff and lothiandon1940 like this.
  6. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

Nice '54. A couple of buddies had '54's in high school. They ran old aluminum slots, so I'm partial to that look myself. Keep the dog dishes please. I loved those flippers years ago, but now they just don't speak to me any more. Sorta like an ex wife.

kiwijeff and lothiandon1940 like this.
  7. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

I don't know if they still sell them but I remember a few years back, you could buy a set of crossbar wheel covers with the bars that actually spinned. I know a guy that bought a set of the naked lady wheel covers and modified it to make the ladies spin.

8. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Holy Crow, J.C...Them ladies wuz doin' somersaults! :eek:

9. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Ultra-double-super secret... when you drive the car, they spin. Gary

10. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

we always called those caps spinners as well, real popular with the lead sled crowd back when...I for one, like em. spend your first Ducats on slamming it on the ground, white walls, not necessarily wide whites, and those hub caps and "U Be Stylin'" You can get this far fairly cheaply and have a great cruiser to cruise the local hangouts on Sat nites. Id say you are off to a great start. Post plenty of pics as you progress.

11. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

Just ZAP it and couple times then take it over to R Crumbs place

Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
  12. My first venture was a 50 Plymouth coupe. While idiot me wound it out to red line and popped the clutch I broke the drivers side rear leaf spring.
    I had no money and being unregistered I was afraid to drive it to the spring shop to get a new spring.
    I ended up cutting a fat limb off my parent's birch tree in the back yard and sandwiched the log in between the rear axle tube and the frame.
    Sat nice and level but did ride a bit hard.

You gotta start somewhere.

czuch and slack like this.
  13. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Haven't heard from him in a while - Looks like we may have lost another one with all the ball-bustin' ...
    A shame, really . Instead of trying to lead him down the right path, we just kick him in the nuts and call it a day, cause it makes us feel better .

gonmad, czuch and arkiehotrods like this.
  14. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

I think he will hang around for a little while. Sure hope so. One of the few "under 30" that still uses capital letters and punctuation.

By the way, Sun54, welcome and nice car.

czuch and slack like this.
  15. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

Sorry I didn't see this thread sooner, hope you didn't get put off. A very wise hamber once said when you start working on cars you need to start looking at everything different.

1) Try finding a round pipe and mount it to the spinner (maybe epoxy)
    2 Mount a bearing to the hubcap and push the pipe through.
    3) Figure out how to prevent the pipe from moving in and out too much.

Go to the hardware store and look around, draw it out on paper, make a model with cardboard. From now on when you see something try to figure out how else you can use it. Dare to be different and ignore what the naysayers tell you, it can be done.

You'll find some legends here like this guy:
    Flat-N-Low's '64 C-10 thread http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/index.php?threads/Flat-N-Low's-'64-C-10-thread.814267/

Welcome to the hobby and have fun with your car.

slack likes this.
  16. putz

putz
    from wisc.

some of these comments are brutal , i have a grandson that has no interest in cars or how to do anything that pertains our hobby , why would anyone try to discourage the young guy !!

slack likes this.
  17. No Yenkos were not sleepers but Yankos probably were. :D

jcmarz likes this.
  18. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Great car! Get it driving and stopping safely, get it low and enjoy! Here's a pic of my brother's '54 210 from a few years back.
    [​IMG]

19. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

55 years ago, my mama drove me around in a black '54 210. Nice ride and I hope you have years of fun with it!

20. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Very nice 54. Is it a stick shift or a PowerGlide?

21. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

This is some old school hamb shit right here... If the kid sticks around after this, we will have someone special... Seriously...

And that's a bitchin '54.

22. dudley32

dudley32

Nice Car...Welcome to the HAMB...

23. Hey I was gentle. :D

I was just thinking about you this morning. ( @Ryan ) one fella said "Things change" and another fella got all up in arms and said that traditional hot rods don't change. I actually restrained myself and didn't jump into the fray but I thought to myself that I have known the Boss for nearly 15 years give or take and he has never ever tried to change me. ;)

I personally think the kid will be fine, he will lick his wounds and read some threads then say to himself, "Well self those guys must really like me. They treated me just like one of the guys."

24. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

His new name is Spinner... :D

slack and lothiandon1940 like this.
  25. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

It is a nice car but putting spinning hubcaps will lessen that look. Spinning hubcaps are not H.A.M.B. style nor Street Rod or Custom style not even Low Rider for that matter. Maybe you guys out there have some photos to post to show him a better choice.

26. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I gotta deal for you... Stick around, let me change your username to Spinner, and I'll comp your Alliance membership... Seriously, you need to be one of us man.

27. ^ If I were you, I'd jump all over that. I could think of worse nicknames......

28. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Do it.......

29. Dave Downs

Dave Downs
    from S.E. Penna

The only nickname worth a damn is one that is earned because it was given to you by 'The Guys'.

czuch, kiwijeff and lothiandon1940 like this.
  30. Shoop107

Shoop107

Holy cow, guy! You better snatch that up!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.